What is an Application Letter?
An application letter (sometimes called a Cover Letter) is usually submitted together with your CV or application form. Application letters allow you to provide a short personal introduction to the information (employment history, academic qualifications and relevant skills) contained in your CV.
What is the purpose of an Application Letter?
A company looking to take on a new employee in Zambia may request a CV and an Application Letter as part of the job application process. The purpose of an Application Letter is to introduce oneself and to support your CV. A well written Application Letter can help you stand out from other applicants and is therefore vitally important.
How is the Application Letter different to a CV?
An Application Letter is different to a CV as it allows you to demonstrate your knowledge of the organisation, the position you are interested in, and the reasons why you want to work for the company.
Is there a standard Application Letter format?
There is no standard Application Letter format. That said, unless your job application states otherwise you should:
- Find the name of the individual and/or address of the department for the organisation that you would like to submit your CV.
- Be concise – 1 or 2 pages should be enough for an Application Letter.
- Demonstrate that you have done some homework on the organisation.
- Keep your sentences and paragraphs short and succinct.
- Ensure that the letter looks professional and has no spelling mistakes or grammatical errors.
Example Application Letters
To view some sample Application Letters (PDF) please click on the following links:
To find more careers articles visit: Careers Advice
Search for Jobs
To search for the latest jobs in Zambia visit: www.gozambiajobs.com/jobs