What is a Cover Letter?
An cover letter (sometimes called an Application Letter) is usually submitted together with your CV or application form. Cover letters allow you to provide a short personal introduction to the information (employment history, academic qualifications and relevant skills) contained in your CV.
What is the purpose of a Cover Letter?
A company looking to take on a new employee in Zambia may request a CV and a Cover Letter as part of the job application process. The purpose of a Cover Letter is to introduce oneself and to support your CV. A well written Cover Letter can help you stand out from other applicants and is therefore vitally important.
How is a Cover Letter different to a CV?
A Cover Letter is different to a CV as it allows you to demonstrate your knowledge of the organisation, the position you are interested in, and the reasons why you want to work for the company.
Is there a standard Cover Letter format?
There is no standard Cover Letter format. That said, unless your job application states otherwise you should:
- Find the name of the individual and/or address of the department for the organisation that you would like to submit your CV.
- Be concise – 1 or 2 pages should be enough for a Cover Letter.
- Demonstrate that you have done some homework on the organisation.
- Keep your sentences and paragraphs short and succinct.
- Ensure that the letter looks professional and has no spelling mistakes or grammatical errors.
Example Cover Letters
To view some sample Coer Letters (PDF) please click on the following links:
To find more careers articles visit: Careers Advice
Search for Jobs
To search for the latest jobs in Zambia visit: www.gozambiajobs.com/jobs