I am qualified Mechanical Technician but with no work experience. Can I still get a job?
I know it can be very difficult for young people who are looking to find their first job in Zambia. I am certain that you will find a job eventually BUT you will have to keep looking and grasp every opportunity that you can. Here are my 3 top tips to help you find a job in Zambia.
1. Be pro-active
Work hard to give yourself the best chances of finding a job. For example:-
- Submit speculative CVs and applications and request that employers keep your information on file
- Offer to work for free as an intern or on a commission only (or output) basis
- Let friends and family know that you are looking for an opportunity
- Write articles or blogs to raise awareness of your skills and abilities
- Attend events and discussions held by professional membership bodies i.e. The Engineering Institute of Zambia (EIZ).
- Talk to your school, college or university to see if they can suggest any employers who may be hiring
2. Explore the alternatives
I know that you are a qualified Mechanical Technician but do not dismiss other jobs as experience gained in one sector can often be transferred to another. It may not be your dream job but you will have taken a few steps towards gaining some vital work experience and showing employers that you are prepared to work hard.
3. Put knowledge into practice
You can show employers your potential by putting your knowledge into practice. You could offer to work on a part-time basis or as an intern. There are many organisations such as charities and church groups who rely on volunteers to operate. If you can put your knowledge into practice you will gain the experience that employers in Zambia often want.
Finally, you may also want to check out these useful articles from Go Zambia Jobs:
- Help! I have little work experience should I still apply?
- No experience, no job
- How to create a job
- Do you have the skills to work freelance?
I hope that this information will of use to you and others in Zambia and wish you all the best with your job search.
Why not share your views?
What are your views on this dilemma? Should he leave and take his dream job? You can share your comments below.
Want to submit a problem to Aunty?
You can send your career questions and problems to [email protected]. Each problem will appear anonymously ensuring that your name and contact details will be kept private at all times.
Search for Jobs
To search for the latest jobs in Zambia visit: www.gozambiajobs.com