Job Title: Assistant Internal Auditor
(Two Year Fixed Term Contract)
The Internal Audit service derives its authority from the Audit Committee. Internal Audit is responsible for conducting an independent appraisal of all of Pan African Building Society(PABS) activities, financial and otherwise.
The general aim of Internal Audit is to assist PABS in accomplishing its objectives by conducting a systematic and disciplined review of the effectiveness of controls, risk and governance processes designed by management to meet the strategic, financial, and operational objectives of PABS. Therefore, as part of the overall assurance framework, Internal Audit helps in ensuring the reliability of internal and external reporting and assists in ensuring compliance with laws and regulations.
In order to achieve this aim, Internal Audit carries out independent assessments and reports thereon to the Audit Committee and management. Each assignment undertaken by Internal Audit is intended to provide independent, objective assurance as well as recommendations designed to add value and improve the operations of PABS.
PABS wishes to appoint an assistant internal auditor to the internal audit unit. The assistant internal auditor will be a committed professional who will report directly to the internal auditor and will be expected to contribute to the successful delivery of the annual plan of internal audit activity.
The candidate will be expected to operate in a team environment whilst at the same time be assigned responsibility for specific assignments. The ability to communicate effectively is an essential requirement for this post and strong report writing skills are required. The candidate should possess excellent inter personal skills; be self-motivated and capable of working on their own initiative. The successful candidate will display a high level of professionalism and sound judgement and possess the confidence and ability to influence people and work at all levels in the university. An awareness of emerging issues with the ability to adapt to the changing operating environment of the sector and provide advice, guidance and innovative solutions where required will be necessary.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
The duties include but are not limited to:
- Delivery from planning to completion of the programme of work set out by the internal auditor as part of the continuous auditing element of the Internal Audit Plan
- Updating the status of the previous internal and external findings on a quarterly basis, auditing resolved issues and preparing the quarterly status report for review by the internal auditor
- Conducting other audit work as directed by the internal auditor in line with the Internal Audit Plan
- Presentation of clear, concise and timely working papers in line with International Internal Auditing Standards for review by the internal auditor
- The timely delivery of professional written draft reports and practical value added recommendations on issues arising during audit work
- Drive a policy of best practice with a focus on continuous improvement and awareness across PABS with respect to internal control, risk and corporate governance
- Develop and maintain productive business relationships across all units in PABS
- Develop professional capability through on the job and internal and external training
- Perform special audit-related projects as assigned
- Perform other duties as assigned
Experience, skills and knowledge requirements
- Accountancy degree or equivalent
- Minimum 3 years’ experience of working in an audit environment
- Excellent technical audit and accounting skills
- Excellent oral and written communication and interpersonal skills with an ability to work effectively at all levels
- Ability to present adequate working papers to enable the Internal Auditor to assess work done and matters to be reported
- Act in a professional and ethical manner at all times including observing the confidential nature of Internal Audit’s work
- A positive and flexible can do attitude and self-starting ability with the aptitude to take ownership of projects as required and see them through to completion
- Highly organised with strong organisation and planning skills, ability to prioritise tasks and deliver assigned audits in line with the audit plan
- Excellent IT skills
- Internal audit experience
- Financial Services audit experience and an understanding of the regulatory environment
- Excellent IT audit skills e.g. use of CAATs
Closing date: 13th January, 2017. Send your CV to [email protected]