Job Title: Drill and Blast Specialist
Location: Lumwana Mine, Solwezi, Zambia.
Reporting to: Mine Engineering Superintendent
Lumwana Mining Company Limited (LMC), a copper mining company owned by Barrick Gold Corporation is situated in the North Western region of Zambia, some 300 km west of the Zambian Copperbelt and 95 km south west of the provincial capital of Solwezi. The mine is a multi-pit, multi staged operation mining approximately 100MT of ore and waste per annum and producing copper concentrates containing an average of 120,000 tonnes of copper metal per year over a twenty (20) year mine life, making Lumwana the largest single open cut copper mine in Africa. The Company is now looking for an experienced and qualified individual to be considered for the position of Drill and Blast Specialist.
Reporting to the Mine Engineering Superintendent, you will be responsible for blast pattern designs, drill fleet schedules, work programs, targets and requirements.
- Be able to provide reports on actual drill meters and conduct reconciliations on them.
- Monitor explosive usage, fragmentation and powder factors.
- Provide information for month end accruals and invoices for explosives and accessories
- Act as liaison to explosive supplier for all technical matters
- Develop blast matrices for different hole sizes, material types and geological domains and use these for blast designs
- Assist Geotechnical Department with blast vibration monitoring strategies, and develop systems for predicting
- Maximum Instantaneous Charge by calculating vibration coefficients
- Provide blast design input into bench sequencing strategies and wet weather planning, and development of Bench Blast Masters.
- Produce post blast analysis reports for all blasts and to high standard
- Provide tie up plans to Drill and Blast operations using appropriate functional software
- Promote and lead business improvement projects involving drilling and blasting.
- Ensure that the Drill and Blast group are providing the required level of service to the mine Planning,
- Operations and Projects in the field.
- Ensure that environmental policies and strategies are incorporated into Drill and Blast.
- Ensure that Drill and Blast Engineers skills are developed to a satisfactory level to perform their duties.
- Provide support to other mine planning disciplines when required
- Other tasks as assigned by the Mine Engineering Superintendent.
Experience & Qualifications
- Degree in Mining Engineering/Geology
- Significant experience (10 years) in the Mining industry
- Experience in large multi pit operations utilising large scale mining equipment ie drill rigs and blasting experience essential.
- Be physically fit and be able to pass a pre-employment medical examination.
- Must have excellent written and oral communication skills in English
- Experience in managing costs and budgeting
Zambian Nationals who meet requirements for this position and are resident in Zambia are strongly encouraged to apply
If you meet the requirements, submit your online application by clicking ‘APPLY NOW’.
Applicants may be subjected to any of the following: a Security and / or Police Clearance Check; a Competence Assessment, Qualifications, Credit and Reference Checks.