Job Title: Geotechnical Coordinator
Location: Lumwana Mine, Solwezi, Zambia.
Reporting to: Mine Engineering Superintendent
Lumwana Mining Company Limited (LMC), a copper mining company owned by Barrick Gold Corporation is situated in the North Western region of Zambia, some 300 km west of the Zambian Copperbelt and 95 km south west of the provincial capital of Solwezi. The mine is a multi-pit, multi staged operation mining approximately 100MT of ore and waste per annum and producing copper concentrates containing an average of 120,000 tonnes of copper metal per year over a twenty (20) year mine life, making Lumwana the largest single open cut copper mine in Africa. The Company is now looking for an experienced and qualified individual to be considered for the position of Geotechnical Coordinator.
Reporting to the Mine Engineering Superintendent, you will be responsible for the management of all ground control related issues related to open pits, dumps, stockpiles, sumps, haul roads and drainage channels in the mining area. In addition the geotechnical coordinator is responsible for groundwater management.
The Geotechnical Coordinator is responsible for mentoring the development of Geotechnical and Hydrogeological Engineers, and Geotechnical Technicians.
- Develop and update the Ground Control Management Standards and ensure that process are in place to monitor, measure and correct compliance
- Collect, analyse and interpret the required geotechnical, hydrogeological and hydrological data and enter into the database.
- Develop and update the geotechnical and hydrogeological models.
- Ensure that the geomechanical and hydrogeological properties and behavior of the materials comprising the pit slopes and dumps are properly understood and incorporated into design and analysis.
- Ensure that appropriate ground and slope performance monitoring devices are used and maintained.
- Provide appropriate geotechnical advice and design analysis for all ground control issues related to the open pits, dumps, stockpiles, sumps, haul roads and drainage channels.
- Ensure that all ground stabilisation measures and pit design modifications are designed and implemented using appropriate geotechnical analysis.
- Check that geotechnical parameters used in design are used appropriately and correctly.
- Consider all credible failure modes in design and analysis.
- Appropriately inspect, evaluate and report all significant ground related incidents.
- Provide input relating to ground control management into short, medium and long term planning.
- Ensure all works carried out comply with safety, quality and design requirements
- Liaise regularly with mine planning, geology and mine production personnel.
- Carry out audits, reviews and quality assurance programs
- Provide geotechnical input into drill and blast design
- Develop and update procedures and standards related to ground control.
- Provide guidance and mentorship to assist subordinates to work through the geotechnical skills matrix, thus providing technical progression and allow for succession planning.
- Appropriately plan and budget for works and equipment related to ground control management.
- Manage contractors and consultants, and ensure that their work is aligned with business needs, and is properly managed in terms of cost, quality, schedule and safety.
- Ensure all work activities comply with Zambian regulatory requirements and Barrick corporate standards.
Experience & Qualifications
- BSc in Mining Engineering/Geology
- MSc in Geotechnical Engineering or Rock Engineering will be an added advantage
- Member of the Engineering Institution of Zambia
- Minimum 5 years experience with at least 3 years in an open pit mine
- Experience in large multi pit operations utilising large scale mining equipment ie drill rigs and blasting experience essential.
- Competent in incident/accident investigation
- Competent use of MS Excel spread sheets and or data basis.
- Competent in use of Rocscience geotechnical software
- Prior use or an understanding of mine design software preferably Vulcan but not essential
- Must have a Valid driver’s licence
Zambian Nationals who meet requirements for this position and are resident in Zambia are strongly encouraged to apply.
If you meet the requirements, submit your online application by clicking ‘APPLY NOW’.
Applicants may be subjected to any of the following: a Security and / or Police Clearance Check; a Competence Assessment, Qualifications, Credit and Reference Checks.
To apply for this job please visit the following URL: https://barrick.taleo.net/careersection/2/jobdetail.ftl?job=079284 →