JOB TITLE: RISK AND COMPLIANCE OFFICER
Our client, is looking to hire a Risk and Compliance Officer. The Risk and Compliance Officer will report to the Group Chief Operating Officer and be responsible for assessing and managing risk and compliance across the different business units within a premier financial services organisation that administers and manages pension funds.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Design and implement an overall risk management process for the individual business units, building on what has already been done
- Manage the process of identifying and assessing the risks affecting the business, working with the Group’s risk department
- Oversee, and in some areas implement, the plan of risk control actions (e.g. purchase of insurance or other risk financing options, health and safety measures, liaison with regulators, business continuity plans)
- Monitor, evaluate and challenge the organisation’s success in managing its risks
- Organise appropriate risk reporting, internally and externally
- Conduct periodic internal reviews or audits to ensure that compliance procedures are followed.
- Conduct internal audits with the Group’s Internal Audit department
- Conduct or direct the internal investigation of compliance issues.
- Identify compliance issues that require follow-up or investigation.
- Develop and disseminate written policies and procedures related to compliance activities, by training the staff
- File appropriate compliance reports with regulatory agencies.
- Evaluate testing procedures to meet the specifications of the Business Continuity Plan and the Disaster Recovery Plan
- Verify that software technology is in place to adequately provide oversight and monitoring in all required areas.
- Serve as a confidential point of contact for employees to communicate with management, seek clarification on issues or dilemmas, or report irregularities.
- Maintain documentation of compliance activities, such as complaints received or investigation outcomes.
- Consult with corporate attorneys as necessary to address difficult legal compliance issues
- Discuss emerging compliance issues with management or employees.
- Collaborate with human resources departments to ensure the implementation of consistent disciplinary action strategies in cases of compliance standard violations.
- Advise internal management or business partners on the implementation or operation of compliance programs.
- Review communications via advertising or through the web-site to ensure there are no violations of standards or regulations.
- Review all documentation and ensure compliance with required standards
- Provide employee training on compliance related topics, policies, or procedures.
- Provide assistance to internal or external auditors in compliance reviews.
- Prepare management reports regarding compliance operations and progress.
- Monitor compliance systems to ensure their effectiveness.
- Report violations of compliance or regulatory standards to duly authorized enforcement agencies as appropriate or required.
- Oversee internal reporting systems such as corporate compliance hotlines and inform employees about these systems.
- Keep informed regarding pending industry changes, trends, and best practices and assess the potential impact of these changes on organizational processes
- Design or implement improvements in communication, monitoring, or enforcement of compliance standards.
- Verify that all firm and regulatory policies and procedures have been documented, implemented, and communicated.
Education, Training and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in a field related to financial services i.e. economics. Accounting etc.
- ACCA or suitable accounting qualification will be an added advantage
- Been trained in and understands how to manage risks and compliance in financial services businesses.
- Minimum 4 years work experience in a risk and compliance function within a highly rated accounting firm or international firm
- Working in a reputable financial services organisation would be an advantage
Skill and Ability to:
The ideal candidate must;
- Be proactive and energetic person
- Able to communicate effectively in both oral and written format
- Able to assist staff with difficult technical tasks,
- Able to work independently and as a team member;
- Able to set priorities and organize work to meet strict deadlines;
- Able to give detailed knowledge of the general tools and techniques of risk management and compliance;
- Have a general curiosity and broad understanding of the world, and an interest in business affairs and human behaviour,
- Be able to understand where risk might come from and learn from how others have dealt with it;
- Knowledge of the key business functions of each business unit and an understanding of the key risks and controls in these areas
- Have a detailed knowledge of the operations of the organisation and the environment (e.g. regulatory, physical) in which it operates.
- Have negotiating and influencing skills
- Have excellent communications and presentation skills, to be able to inform and persuade both orally and in writing. This means excellent written and spoken English.
- Have persistence, an eye for detail and ability to complete projects and keep to deadlines (in respect of risk and compliance reporting)
- Have a skilled use of typical office software and an ability to understand and learn risk management software packages
HOW TO APPLY
If you feel you have what it takes for this position, please send your Application Letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org. Clearly indicate the position you are applying for as the subject line and use your full name as the file name for your application. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Closing date for receipt of applications and CVs is 20th February 2017