Zambezi River Authority
Zambezi River Authority is seeking highly motivated, suitably qualified and experienced Zambian nationals to fill vacancies in Dam Safety and Projects Sections under the Projects and Dam Safety Department to be based in Kariba, Zimbabwe.
The Senior Manager – Dam Safety position will be under the Dam Safety Section.
Position Purpose / Summary:
Under the supervision of the Director – Projects and Dam Safety, the Senior Manager – Dam Safety will provide leadership and be responsible for the successful planning, execution, monitoring, control and reporting of the all the dam safety aspects in the Authority through the following Key Result Areas: Dam Safety Management Budgeting & Budgetary Control, Strategic Management, Risk Management and Strategic Leadership & People Management
1. Dam Safety Management will cover the following key responsibilities:
- Developing and maintaining detailed Dam Safety Management Programmes.
- Effective resource allocation for all dam safety activities.
- Recommending proposed design specifications for addressing of dam safety deficiencies for approval.
- Setting of benchmarks to monitor progress regarding the implementation of plans to address dam safety deficiencies.
- Managing Annual Plan deliverables of routine Dam Safety Management activities.
- Recording and managing dam safety issues and escalating same to the Director – Projects and Dam Safety.
- Providing State of Dam Reports and Dam Inspection Reports at set time-frames.
- Monitoring and ensuring enforcement of Health and Safety Regulations at the dam and throughout the Authority’s estate
- Reviewing existing departmental policies and plans with respect to current state-of-the-art in Dam Engineering and with respect to changes in organisation direction and goals
- Managing co-ordination of the Authority’s Dam Safety Management Partners who may be consultants, contractors and financiers.
- Managing co-ordination of all other Dam Safety Management Stakeholders of the Authority
2. Budgeting and Budgetary Control will cover the following key responsibilities:
- Developing the Dam Safety Management budget.
- Managing consultancy input within the allocated budget.
- Managing Dam Safety Management training within the allocated budget.
- Ensuring effective utilization of resources and that expenditure is within budget.
3. Strategic Management will cover the following key responsibilities:
- Developing and implementing the Dam Safety Annual Operational Strategies in line with Departmental Strategic Objectives.
- Monitoring and reviewing the implementation of the Dam Safety Operational Plans.
- Reporting progress on Dam Safety Management Programmes being undertaken to the Director – Projects and Dam Safety on a regular basis.
4. Risk Management will cover the following key responsibilities:
- Identifying requirements for risk management.
- Developing the Risk Management Plan for Dam Safety.
- Developing and maintaining the Risk Register for Dam Safety.
- Recommending risk allocation regarding the addressing of Dam Safety Management Programmes being undertaken.
5. Strategic Leadership and People Management will cover the following key responsibilities:
- Providing vision, leadership and direction to the Section in order to achieve departmental objectives.
- Providing direction on the effective management of the human resource in accordance with the Authority’s policies and procedures that fully conform to labour laws and regulations.
- Providing direction in change management by embracing and supporting all systems being introduced in the Authority.
- Providing leadership in the management of employee performance in the Section.
- Ensuring that employees have the right skills to effectively carry out the dam safety management activites.
- Recommending the recruitment, training and placement of suitable employees and equipment to enable efficient achievement of objectives within the department and across departments.
- Ensuring proper utilization of human resource in the Section.
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering or equivalent
- Relevant Post Graduate qualification in Civil Engineering or other relevant engineering disciplines
- Membership of a Professional Body
- 8 years of relevant experience of which at least 6 years should relate to Dam Safety Management
Other key attributes
- Leadership skills
- Strategic thinking and planning skills
- Decision making skills
- Operational effectiveness
- Influence and interpersonal effectiveness
- Effective communication
EMPLOYMENT STATUS: Fixed Term Renewable Contracts
Written application letters together with detailed CVs and certified photocopies of academic & professional certificates should be forwarded to:
The Senior Manager – Human Resource and Administration,
Zambezi River Authority,
Head Office, Kariba House, 32 Cha Cha Cha Road,
P.O Box 30233
CLOSING DATE FOR RECEIVING APPLICATIONS WILL BE APRIL 24, 2017
Ensure that you mention www.gozambiajobs.com as the source of this job advert.
(ONLY SHORT LISTED CANDIDATES WILL BE CONTACTED)