What do the Police do?
The Police serve to maintain law and order, protect members of the public and their property, prevent crime, reduce the fear of crime and improve the quality of life for all citizens.
- Police Officer
- Police Support Officer
What skills do you need to work in the Police?
- Decision making
- Attention to detail
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Report writing
Where do the Police work?
Police Officers are public sector employees. You could work as a public facing uniformed officer or have non-public facing role at a police station. In addition to these types of roles there are a number of support functions that are vital to the successful operation of the Police Force. These include administrative, human resources and legal roles.
Typical work activities
- Responding to calls for help from the public
- Investigating crimes and offences, and making arrests
- Interviewing witnesses and suspects, preparing crime reports and taking statements
- Searching for missing people
- Giving evidence in court
- Policing large public events, concerts and demonstrations
Find out more