What is Science?
Science is the pursuit and application of knowledge and understanding. Scientists follow a systematic methodology based on evidence. Evidence is obtained through a number of different methods including conducting research and scientific tests.
- Lab Technician
- Forensic Scientist
What skills do you need to work as a scientist?
- An interest in science and the pursuit of knowledge
- Ability to remain open-minded
- Analytical and problem-solving skills
- Organisation and planning skills
- Ability to work with computers and technology
Where do scientists work?
Scientists work in both the public and private sector. There are a vast number of career options including: teaching, academia, research, pharmacy, health care, government services, food production, meteorology, engineering and technology.
Typical work activities
- Collecting data and samples
- Devising and planning tests and experiments
- Conducting research and obtaining evidence
- Analysing results and data
- Maintaining accurate records and writing reports
- Developing new theories and products
Find out more