What is Veterinary Science?
Veterinary science is the branch of science concerned with the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of disease, disorder and injury in animals.
- Veterinary Surgeon
- Veterinary Nurse
- Animal Nutritionist
- Animal Care Lecturer
What skills do you need to work in veterinary science?
- A good knowledge of the relevant sciences
- Problem solving skills
- Strength of character
- Inquisitive and practical
- Good communication skills
- Awareness of ethical responsibility
Where do veterinary professionals work?
Veterinary professionals can work in the public sector or in the private sector. Experienced vets may run their own independent veterinary practice. Veterinary science professionals can specialize in one of the following areas:
- Farm and zoo animals
- Small animals (Pets)
- Veterinary Teaching and Research
- Government Service
Typical work activities
- Diagnosing and treating sick animals
- Collecting samples and analysing test results
- Communicating with the general public
- Advising on animal welfare
- Purchasing veterinary supplies and general business management
- Maintaining up to date records
Find out more