Website John Snow Inc.
John Snow, Inc (JSI) seeks highly qualified and accomplished public health leaders and providers for the recently awarded United Sates Agency for International Development (USAID) / PEPFAR-funded Supporting an AIDS –Free Era (SAFE) Project in Zambia. The five year project which will be led by JSI in partnership with ABt Associates,mothers2mothers and the Catholic Medical Mission Board will work to reduce HIV mortality, morbidity and transmission, while improving nutrition outcomes and family planning integration in three provinces; Central, Copperbelt and North Western. USAID/PEPFAR SAFE will work with GRZ, private sector and civil society institutions at the national, provincial and district level to increase access to ART for HIV positive adults and children, reduce the incidence of new infections, improve nutritional assessment, Counseling and Services (NACS) and family planning services and increase the capacity of local health institutions to better serve affected populations.
Position Tile: District Laboratory Support Scientist
Position Type: Consultancy
Location: Central Province
The District Laboratory Scientist will be part of a team ensuring that all activities critical to guaranteeing the viability and transportation of whole blood, plasma, dry blood spots, swabs and brushes for various PCR related tests are strictly adhered to. The incumbent will also ensure the full range of MoH manual documentation required for managing the chain of custody is properly and timeously filled out and will further ensure all results are filed electronically into SMART Care or manually within 48hrs. Responsibilities will also extend to oversight and the proper functioning of e_labs and DISA for sample registration including results management. Management of vehicle sample routes and communications with collecting facilities will also be the responsibility of the DLS including the redistribution of supplies requiring distribution and redistribution.
Primary responsibilities and duties.
The laboratory support scientist will ensure the following:
- The availability of all nationally approved EID, VL & HPV registers including sample transport logs at all facilities in the district.
- Proper and full use of e_Labs and DISA to manage sample chain of custody and results management.
- Courier drivers/riders follow protocols strictly.
- Manage and update the Hub registers accordingly.
- Collaborate with clinical and community teams on demand creation activities.
- Facilities place orders for sample collection supplies regularly via the approved systems.
- Maintain adequate supplies at all collection centres in the district e.g. EDTA & Plain containers, DBS Cards, Cooler bags and Cooler boxes, needles & syringes/vacutainer systems.
- Facilitate redistribution of supplies in the district when there are imbalances and/or emergencies.
- Centrifuges at centres where they are available are in good working condition at all times.
- Manual or electronic results received are filed within 48hrs of receipt (registers or smart care).
- Maintain regular contact with the courier advising on sample availability and movement.
- Collaborate with other district vehicle movements to optimize sample transportation to the PCR Lab.
- Any other duties assigned.
- Being able to work effectively with GRZ through PHO and DHOs and health facilities.
- Good interpersonal relationships.
- Ability to articulate operational issues and propose workable solutions.
- BSc Biomedical Sciences or equivalent with at least 3 yrs experience or Diploma with at least 5 years’ experience in a similar position.