SNV Netherlands Development Organisation is a not-for-profit international development organisation. Founded in the Netherlands 50 years ago, we have built a long-term, local presence in 38 of the poorest countries in Asia, Africa and Latin America. Our global team of local and international advisors works with local partners to equip communities, businesses and organisations with the tools, knowledge and connections they need to increase their incomes and gain access to basic services – empowering them to break the cycle of poverty and guide their own development. For more information, please refer to our website: www.snvworld.org.
SNV is implementing a project focusing on changing the business models in cotton, dairy and horticulture production systems. The project, started in January 2020 is a three year project. Working with companies, SMEs and farmers, the new project brings together lessons from previous achievements in climate smart agriculture and renewable energy and works on proving the premise that an integrated private sector approach to climate change can be commercially viable and environmentally sustainable:
Integrated Soil Fertility Management + Agroforestry + Bio-slurry + Renewable Energy + Irrigation=More climate friendly, stable & higher yields
The project maintains a strong orientation on the differing roles of men and women farmers in farming and in business and also on youth (self) employment.
The project team consists of a Project Manager based in Lusaka, there three Advisors each based in a field office, CSA and RE officers, M&E and gender specialist.
The field offices are in Katete (cotton), Mazabuka (dairy), Kabwe (horticulture). Each Advisor is the focal point for one value chain, for the following cross-cutting topics: Inclusive Business (IB), renewable energy (RE), or Youth Employment (OYE). This means each Advisor supports the rest of the project team with his/her respective cross-cutting topic. The Advisor works with a team of CSA Renewable energy officers, and with stakeholders from private sector and government institutions. He/ She reports to the Project Manager.
- Liaise with the value chain company partnering with the project and coordinate activities with them
- Design, budget and implement activities on Climate Smart Practices and Services in the focus areas and alignment with the operational plan,
- Network and synergize with regional stakeholders to promote the project’s objectives.
- Provide Backstopping on Inclusive Business to the other project field offices
- Build the capacities of sector stakeholders and institutionalizing sector functions.
- Lead Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning efforts.
- Lead administrative day to day operations of the field office.
- Assure the quality of implementation in the field.
- Masters’ level education with minimum 7 years working experience OR a Bachelors’ degree with 10 years professional experience,
- Proven track record with over 3 years of experience in renewable energy technologies and productive use in rural Zambia,
- At least two years of demonstrated managerial experience,
- Practical experience in one of the following topics Agriculture (Climate Smart), Youth (self) Employment and Gender,
- Strong communication skills and ability to negotiate and moderate with senior officials and representatives,
- Founded knowledge and/or experience in energy efficiency auditing is an asset,
- Given the strong business focus of the project, private sector experience is very much welcomed,
- ICT / Computer Literacy,
- Fluency in written and oral English, proficiency in multiple local languages is an asset
The qualities that SNV is looking for are entrepreneurial drive and passion. A highly pro-active approach is imperative, considering this is a new project. As the project needs to jump-start a new network of companies and SMEs in the fields of climate smart products and services, the incumbent needs to thrive in a creative but complex and busy atmosphere. In a self-critical process of continuous improvement, the incumbent will be on the road 30% of the time contributing to quality control and transparent implementation of the project, while at the same time advancing knowledge on climate smart business practices.
Interested candidates with minimum qualifications may apply by submitting a Cover letter and CV. Closing date is on 22 May 2021.
We do not appreciate third-party mediation based on this advertisement. Only short listed candidates will be contacted. Any form of solicitation by phone or other means will be treated as disqualification of the candidate. SNV is an equal employment provider.