At First Quantum, we free the talent of our people by taking a very different approach which is underpinned by a very different, very definite culture – the “First Quantum Way”.
Working with us is not like working anywhere else, which is why we recruit people who will take a bolder, smarter approach to spot opportunities, solve problems and deliver results.
Our culture is all about encouraging you to think independently and to challenge convention to deliver the best result. That’s how we continue to achieve extraordinary things in extraordinary locations.
Overall Job Purpose:
The position of Rigger is to ensure all lifting; moving and rigging of equipment is performed in a safe manner complying to regulation and mine safety standards.
Specific Job Responsibilities:
The specific tasks to be performed by the position holder will include;
- The rigger is to ensure that all rigging activities are properly planned and performed to the upmost standards in support with maintenance personnel maintaining operational integrity of the plant & equipment in order to achieve production targets.
- Reporting directly to the Rigger Supervisor, you shall be responsible for providing the highest quality services and that all services provided are performed within a safe and timely manner.
- Performing of all rigging tasks in and around the process plant.
- Draw up lift plans for critical lifts.
- Be able to inspect lifting and rigging equipment and identify when such equipment does not meet the safe operating standard of such equipment.
- Be able to read mobile crane load charts.
- Safe loading and securing of loads on trucks; low bed trucks and flatbed trucks.
- Be able to perform rigging tasks in confined spaces.
- Be able to perform tandem lifts using two cranes to perform a lifting task
- Be a self-starter and able to work autonomously and as part of a team
- Demonstrate a commitment to work place safety and the safety of fellow employees
- Be accurate when selecting rigging equipment for various tasks.
- Follow laid down policies and procedures as out lined by management.
- Enforce Compliance to work order attachments and documents such as JSA’s, Work Procedure’s, SWI’s, etc.
- Ensure compliance with Safety and Environmental Management systems, policies
- and procedures along with ensuring that all risks have been identified, managed and safe working environment is maintained
- Enforce good housekeeping practices are maintained by enforcing cleaning up before, during and after every task and not leaving any hazards within the work place
- Have the ability to plan for tasks; arrange the correct equipment needed to minimise unnecessary delays in planned tasks
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Job Specific Competencies:
- Knowledge and experience on heavy mining units; Overhead cranes; Mobile Cranes and lifting equipment.
- Knowledge on mobile crane load charts
- Knowledge on Safety and Environmental Management systems, policies and procedures
- Demonstrated application of continuous improvement ideas
- Ability to quickly adapt to technological changes in Maintenance
- Demonstrated ability to work safely and improve team safety awareness.
- Able to diagnose problems and potential problems
- Effective written and verbal communication skills
Key Job Attributes:
- Detail Orientation and attention
- Good judgement skills when under pressure
- Problem Solving
- Team player
- Be active at continuous improvement of the assigned section
- A positive, self-motivated and conscientious attitude
- Be able to work under pressure and maintain work standards and safety regulations.
Experience required to perform in this job:
- Proven Knowledge and experience on heavy mining units; Overhead cranes; Mobile Cranes and lifting equipment.
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in a similar role.
- Grade 12 Certificate.
- A minimum of Zambian craft certificate or its equivalent. Higher education attainment will be an added advantage.
- Certified rigger.