Social media can be an important tool to help you find employment in Zambia. In this article we outline how you can use social media to find a job.
What is social media?
Social media refers to websites and applications that enable users to create and share content or to participate in social networking. Well know social media websites include Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Instagram.
How is social media useful when searching for a job?
Social media is a great way to quickly find and share information on the latest jobs and career news. You can also use social media to communicate directly with potential employers.
How you can use social media to find jobs?
- Let friends and family know you are looking for a job and ask them to share any job opportunities with you.
- “Like” or “Follow” employers, organisations and groups on Facebook and Twitter so that you receive notification about jobs and career events.
- Set up a LinkedIn profile so that you can connect with people, groups and events in relevant areas. You may also want to consider setting up profiles on other relevant social media networks.
If you choose to use social media to communicate directly with potential employers remain professional and present yourself in a way that matches the ethos of the organisation.
What else MUST you know about social media?
You should also consider that employers can also search Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn profiles to gather information about you and your suitability your their organisation. If you are serious about finding a job then you should take some time to check your social media profiles to ensure that you:
- Delete any comments or images that might not represent you in the best light.
- Check your privacy settings if you would prefer your social media profiles not to be visible to the general public.
- The information shared on social media matches the information shown in your CV or application.