Website ActionAid Zambia
Terms of Reference
Consultant to conduct research scoping out existing legislative and policy frameworks for ending violence against marginalized women and girls in the workplace in Zambia.
ActionAid Zambia (AAZ) is part of ActionAid International which is a global movement of people working together to further human rights and defeat poverty for all. ActionAid focuses on five (5) Strategic Priorities namely: Civic Participation and State Accountability, Resilient Livelihood and Secure Climate Justice, Women and Youths’ Socio-Economic Empowerment, Transformative Women-Led Emergency Preparedness, Response and Prevention, and Youth Engagement and Empowerment.
ActionAid Zambia is implementing the project “Zero Violence: building and strengthening sustainable legal capacity to address and reduce violence and discrimination against women and girls (WAG) and key populations across the Commonwealth.”
In line with this project, one of the main objectives is to enhance the capacity of Civil Society and beneficiaries to improve the response and uptake of violence and discrimination and support services to ensure marginalized Women and Girls are able to address, report, and seek justice against violence and discrimination in their households, communities, and workplace.
Scope of the Assignment
Given the above background, ActionAid Zambia is seeking a consultant to conduct research scoping out existing legislative and policy frameworks for ending violence against marginalized women and girls in the workplace in Zambia. The Terms of Reference for the consultant will be as follows:
- To review the existing legal and policy framework on ending violence and sexual harassment against women, girls, and key populations in the formal and informal sector in Zambia.
- Examine the efficiency of support facilities available for victims of violence and sexual harassment
- Identify best practices from other countries with the SADC region on ending violence and sexual harassment against women, girls, and key populations
- Provide comprehensive recommendations on how Zambia can end violence and sexual harassment against women, girls, and key populations
- To deliver a conclusive report of the findings of the research to ActionAid Zambia and incorporate feedback following review from ActionAid Zambia.
Scope and Key Elements of the Review
It is recommended that the approach should use a mixed-methods approach of both qualitative and quantitative components. The overall approach to research design, protocol, and guidance must recognize that both the process and final products of the research should be empowering, build solidarity, and shift power to young people.
The consultant will;
- Develop a research design and methodology.
- Present the first draft of the report by January 25th, 2021.
- Incorporate the recommendations as approved by ActionAid Zambia into the Research Report.
- Deliver a completed Research Report to ActionAid Zambia.
- Work in consultation and collaboration with the ActionAid Zambia Management.
The ideal Consultant is expected to have the following profile:
The Lead Consultant/Researcher must be a Senior Expert in leading and undertaking assessments/studies particularly on Legal Research and Policy Framework in Zambia and evaluation of programs/projects. The Lead researcher should hold a minimum of a Ph.D./ Master’s degree in Law, Gender Studies, Labour Law, or any other relevant Social Science, subject, and practical knowledge. Sexual Harassment and Gender-based Violence related experience is a plus.
- A legal practitioner or researcher with practical experience and knowledge of the legal framework and policy framework in relation to sexual harassment in the workplace and Gender-Based Violence against women and girls.
- Have practical knowledge and experience working in the field of ending violence against women and girls in Zambia.
- Be familiar with development work in Zambia.
The consultant will work directly with the Project Manager of the Zero Violence project and the Head of Programs and Resource Mobilization at ActionAid Zambia.
- A technical proposal with an elaborate design and methodology, sample size; clear work plan on how the research will be conducted; including the tools to be used in the research and proposed time schedules.
- An itemized budget for consultancy fees.
- Curriculum vitae for the consultants and proposed team members.
- List of related work undertaken in the recent past including full names, email address, telephone, and physical address of the clients.
- Submission of proposal indicating the subject line or separately sealed hard copy to ActionAid Zambia Office, 38G Kabulonga Road, Ibex Hill, P.O. Box 51407, Lusaka Zambia, on 15th January 2021, or via the e-mail address: [email protected]