POSITION: Commercial and Enterprises Manager (CEM)
ORGANISATION: African Parks, Bangweulu Wetlands
LOCATION: Bangweulu wetlands
REPORTING TO: Park Manager
EXPECTED START DATE: 01 January 2024
African Parks is a non-profit conservation organisation that takes on the complete responsibility for the rehabilitation and long-term management of national parks in partnership with governments and local communities. We currently manage 22 national parks and protected areas in 12 countries covering over 20 million hectares in: Angola, Benin, Central African Republic, Chad, the Democratic Republic of Congo, Malawi, Mozambique, the Republic of Congo, Rwanda, South Sudan Zambia and Zimbabwe.
To develop the Commercial Management and Enterprises Section of the Greater Bangweulu wetlands project in a manner that ensures that all of the obligations outlined in the Project Agreement are adequately met and systems put in place to ensure effective implementation and management of all commercial, tourism, nature-based income streams and community enterprise activities in and around Bangweulu wetlands as outlined in the 5-year Business Plan.
- The CEM will drive the development of the Commercial Development Plan for Bangweulu wetlands in conjunction with the Park Manager, Head of Commercial APN, DNPW and other relevant stakeholders.
- The CEM will be focused on achieving realistic and agreed stretch revenue targets for the Park. Bangweulu wetlands is a Category 2 Park and therefore will need to focus on achieving 50% of its’ Opex through Commercial revenue in the fullness of the mandate.
- The CEM Manager will be responsible for ensuring the implementation and training on new revenue hardware and software for all the AP run facilities as envisaged by Head Office for revenue collection and reporting.
Commercial Infrastructure and Aesthetics
- The CEM will be responsible for ensuring the upkeep professional appearance in line with the agreed Bangweulu wetlands brand language of all guest facing facilities including entrance gates, hides, shops and any other park infrastructure associated with tourism.
- Ensuring all signage around the park is well maintained and accurate.
- Ensuring the Park architectural language is consistent and well maintained.
- The CEM will project manage key infrastructural developments which are of a Commercial nature, as envisaged in the Business Plan.
Tourism Product Development and Marketing
- Enforcing and ensuring best practice of all rules and regulations concerning all commercial activities taking place in the park.
- Working with all stakeholders to effectively create demand for Bangweulu wetlands as the destination of choice in Zambia through innovative programs using media and marketing companies.
- Driving Bangweulu wetlands as a unique wildlife destination brand of choice in Africa.
- Investigating and developing alternative tourism activity offerings e.g. Birding and photographic safaris, etc.
- The CEM will drive the process of managing all the hunting and harvesting programs including other sustainable community enterprise projects including commercial fishing and compile all proposals and plans related thereto.
- The CEM will drive key planning processes that will have a direct bearing on commercial and/or enterprise activities and ensure that the outcome aligns with the Vision and Objectives of the Park management effort (e.g. General Management Plan and Fisheries Management Plans).
Qualifications and Role requirements
- A first degree in Natural Sciences or Business Studies;
- At least 10 years of proven operational experience in the tourism or conservation management sector, with a demonstrated interest and skill set focussed on commercial and enterprise aspects;
- A strong work ethic with a demonstrated ability to analyse complex contracts in a solutions-based manner;
- Excellent planning and organizational skills;
- A legal background would be a significant advantage;
- Trusted and disciplined person, able to work independently with a demonstrated ability to build a strong team approach to project execution;
- Solutions centered with an understanding of the need for confidentiality;
- Excellent communication skills;
- Good ability to write proposals and reports and present both in written or oral formats;
- IT – Word, Excel, Power Point and Outlook;
- Team player who will nurture and develop hospitality employees; and
- Excellent ability to build and manage relationships with a wide variety of people and cultures.
To apply click on the link here.
To apply for this job please visit gozambiajobs.com.