Website Afya Mzuri
Afya Mzuri is a Zambian local Non-Government Organisation and one of the leading health communication organizations. Afya Mzuri specializes in community empowerment, behaviour change, and knowledge management for health and has over 17 years of experience providing high-impact HIV & AIDS prevention and treatment programming to government, civil society, and the private sector. Afya Mzuri’s service provision has expanded in recent years to focus on all aspects of health and wellbeing – specifically malaria, TB, maternal newborn & child health, nutrition, sexual and reproductive health, and lifestyle diseases.
Afya Mzuri in partnership with PATH has been implementing the USAID-funded Eradicate TB project (ETB) in six (6) Provinces of Zambia (Copperbelt, Central, Muchinga, Northern, North-western and Luapula). The USAID Eradicate TB project’s primary goal is to reduce TB related mortality by 50% with two objectives aimed at increasing the number of individuals screened for TB by 50% and increasing the TB treatment success rate to 85% in targeted provinces. Afya Mzuri on the ETB project has the mandate of conducting community TB trainings, mobilization, and awareness-raising activities, and community-level case findings and Tb treatment support. Afya Mzuri is currently recruiting for the following:
Position: Community Mobilization Specialist
Reporting to: Programme Manager and ETB Technical Advisor
Length of Contract: 14 months
Place of work: PATH central office, Lusaka.
Roles and Responsibilities:
1.Build capacity and coordinate roles within a strong technical project team providing technical assistance in engagement and mobilization of community to ensure delivery of high-quality accessible TB services.
2.Lead needs assessments in ETB target areas to inform activity development and implementation utilizing tools developed by the project.
3.Work with local community partners to ensure: increased understanding of TB; increased demand for services; and increased participation in effective service delivery by relevant groups.
4.Identify low performing communities in contact tracing, treatment adherence and support.
5.Lead in the capacity building activities, including trainings for community organizations, leaders or focal points.
6.Work in close collaboration with key personnel to support the increase knowledge of, demand for, and utilization of TB services through more effective advocacy, communication, and Social Mobilization.
7.Work with the community structures to build capacity of local communities’ health workers teams or CBVs to take a lead in TB prevention, treatment, care and support service delivery, including documentation and reporting of community TB care activities.
8.Provide support in communities to implement clear, innovative approaches and models for implementing DOTS that build on existing community-based programs and/or leverage resources from other stakeholders to ensure adequate coverage of innovative tools to strengthen diagnostic and treatment capacity in project intervention areas.
9.Support the design and implementation of local solutions to increase drug-sensitive and drug-resistant case finding, especially among vulnerable populations such as PLHIV, women, children, and miners.
10.Prepare the work plan for all community mobilization activities that will include but are not limited to the following: local problem analysis; assessment of needs, capabilities, and available resources; support and capacity building of Community-Based Volunteers and prioritizing high impact activities.
- Diploma in Social work/ Development studies/ Environmental Health Services or equivalent academic degree, Degree in Public Health is even more desirable.
- Minimum five (05) years of experience in health services provision.
- Experience in and understanding of TB control is necessary.
- Ability to conduct trainings and build capacity in community engagement, TB control, including DOTS and TB case-finding, diagnosis, and treatment.
- Exemplary interpersonal skills to facilitate relations with the Government and local partners.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent organizational, planning, negotiating and problem-solving skills.
- Familiarity working with international organizations is preferred.
- To multi-task and maintain schedules for deliverables with excellent attention to details.
- Excellent organizational skills;
- Excellent computer skills (including, Excel, Word, PowerPoint, etc.);
- Sound knowledge of local Social mobilization and community development principles;
- Participatory methods implementing skills and ability to set priorities, analytical and meet specific objectives;
- Good interpersonal skills, diligence, open-mindedness, and dedication.
Applicants should submit a covering one paged letter detailing how their skills, qualifications and experience match the minimum requirements outlined above, together with a CV (maximum 4 pages) and the full contact details of at least 3 traceable professional referees, one of which should include current employer, where applicable and a MUST the expected salary.
The closing date for applications is Monday 28th December 2020. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Please submit applications by addressing to the Executive Director, Afya Mzuri, Lusaka, indicating the position in the subject: to email address: [email protected]
*NO HARD COPY APPLICATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED*