The Health Informatics Technician (HIT) will be based in Lusaka and will provide implementation support to Akros within a broad range of information management and data analysis support activities. Akros provides technical assistance to a large number of District Health Information System (DHIS2, www.dhis2.org) implementations in the sub-Saharan Africa region, and directly manages several large-scale DHIS2 instances in Zambia and the region.
The HIT will be responsible for building in-country capacity; creating, modifying, and maintaining potentially complex and diverse surveillance platforms; and leading a broad range of international training sessions in DHIS2 usage, health informatics, and analysis. It is not necessarily expected that the HIT have all the technical skills required to fully support all Akros-led implementations. While the technician will be finally responsible for all the above outcomes, it is anticipated that s/he will coordinate with expert developers to produce these outcomes as necessary. The technician will collaborate closely with Akros public health field officers with a broad range of technical backgrounds.
The HIT will be expected to spend a portion of time contributing to business development. Business development tasks may include researching partners and funding opportunities, building relationships with donors and implementers, identifying new and applicable technologies for potential opportunities, and contributing technical knowledge to the proposal development process.
Assist field officers and management
- Identifying user requirements and developing coherent and technology-appropriate specifications to meet them
- Leading a broad range of international training sessions in DHIS2 usage, health informatics, and analysis
- Initializing hardware, troubleshooting hardware and software
- Explaining solutions to clients
Support system design and project implementation
- Set up, configure, and maintain DHIS2 and ODK instances as required
- Develop and maintain custom databases
- Researching partners and funding opportunities
- Building relationships with donors and implementers
Identifying new and applicable technologies for potential opportunities
- Contributing technical knowledge to the proposal development process
Skills and Experience
Items indicated with an asterisk (*) are required
- Bachelor’s degree*
- Preferred: Bachelor’s or master’s degree in computer science, IT, library science, programming, business computing, or other related field
- Prior experience in health information management systems such as District Health Information Systems 2 (www.dhis2.org), ODK, or other open source data collection and aggregation systems*
- Experience managing or using databases like SalesForce, SQL, MongoDB, NoSQL, etc.*
- Knowledge of data analytics/visualization, storage, or processing tools such as Tableau or Hive*
- Experience in production and analysis of programs and data*
- Academic training and/or professional experience in monitoring and evaluation, including defining key goals or indicators for a project, reporting on and analyzing that data, and assessing impact/opportunities for improvement
Understanding of program surveillance platforms, e.g. systems that capture live, real-time data and drives information back through robust feedback loops
- Experience translating technical information into accessible language through written and/or verbal presentations (e.g. trainings or concept notes), ideally with past experience liaising between developers and users of programs/technology platforms
- Experience with business development, researching or securing new resources and/or partnerships
- Willingness to travel
- Ability to work with minimal supervision
- Self-starter who will thrive through exemplifying ownership and initiative
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment with individuals with diverse backgrounds
- Demonstrated ability to work well against complex and challenging delivery schedules
- Knowledge of global health issues
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship building skills
Details about stipend and benefits can be found here: http://ghcorps.wpengine.com/fellowship-benefits-and-logistics/
Please ensure that you mention www.gozambiajobs.com as the source of this job advertisement.
To apply for this job please visit ghcorps.org.