Website AKROS RESEARCH
Akros strengthens national health systems in developing countries focusing in southern Africa. We work hand in hand with national governments to develop quality disease surveillance and response systems and to roll out research and communication frameworks aimed at understanding health problems. Ultimately, Akros aims to develop and utilize new technologies to address these health issues with proper solutions. Our work straddles epidemiology, informatics, community surveillance and development. Our organization is based in Lusaka, Zambia and we are looking for an undergraduate or graduate student interested in a fellowship in Zambia to assist us in capturing and documenting our work and sharing it through unique social media and other channels. See below for further detail.
Akros seeks a Communications Fellow to provide high quality advocacy and communication support to our exciting work. The Communications Fellow will be based in Lusaka, Zambia with frequent field visits and will provide communication and documentation support to Akros. Akros has achieved success in bringing improved health to the communities in which they work – we seek to document our unique approaches, as well as share success stories with the global community. The Communications Fellow will be central in working with our in-country field staff to understand the nature of Akros’ work and achievements, and to document them in the most tangible, real-life and boots on the ground way possible. This will include frequent field visits to remote locations in Zambia, routine interactions with a variety of stakeholders including local traditional leaders, government staff, and partners. Akros has a list of successes and success story focuses and would work with the Communication Fellow to develop a targeted plan for the fellowship to capture, create, and disseminate these through a variety of channels. A few focused tasks include:
- Expand Akros’ reach and name recognition, particularly through social media. Work with our communication team to design a social media strategy that aligns with Akros’ digital transformation.
- Work with our in-country, boots on the ground team in Zambia to capture new, and re-purpose existing success stories, case studies and general documentation for sharing with target audiences (global media, partners, donors).
- Help us talk about our work better; Akros is a technical implementing partner, supporting ICT solutions to improve access to care in the developing world. Our work is complicated but our results are simple. We need help talking about our work and what we accomplish, without alienating audiences.
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant communication, PR, or media field.
- Experience in advocacy, policy, journalism and/or communications
- Experience working abroad or working internationally. As a substitute, coursework in intercultural communication is acceptable
- Knowledge, passion and interest in global health issues
- Social media wizadry
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Capacity to design and implement corporate communication strategies, including produce relevant internal documentation and guidance
- High level of personal integrity
- Humility and an appreciation of the Zambian cultural context
- Photography and videography skills a plus
What we offer
Akros is a small, woman-owned business with about 40 staff in Lusaka, Zambia. Our team is engaged, small, all hands-on-on-deck, and our atmosphere is much like a start-up. This opportunity includes a modest stipend and roundtrip airfare (if currently residing outside Zambia). Akros will cover visa fees, if needed, and we will be eager to help you network while in Lusaka.
The Communications Fellow will be based in Lusaka, Zambia with frequent field visits and will provide communication and documentation support to Akros.
Applications are due no later than Wednesday 18 July 2018. Candidates will be interviewed on a rolling basis and are encouraged to apply early. To apply, please submit a cover letter and CV with references to [email protected] with “Communications & Advocacy Fellow” as the email’s subject line. Telephonic inquiries are not encouraged. Please ensure that you mention www.gozambiajobs.com as the source of this job advertisement.