At First Quantum, we free the talent of our people by taking a very different approach which is underpinned by a very different, very definite culture – the “First Quantum Way”.
Working with us is not like working anywhere else, which is why we recruit people who will take a bolder, smarter approach to spot opportunities, solve problems and deliver results.
Our culture is all about encouraging you to think independently and to challenge convention to deliver the best result. That’s how we continue to achieve extraordinary things in extraordinary locations.
Overall Job Purpose
The Tyre Fitter will be responsible for all aspects of Tyre/Rim/Tyre chain maintenance in and around Site Services.
Specific Job Responsibility
- Changing Tyres on all size mine equipment including tyre sizes up to 59/80R63.
- Rim maintenance on all mine equipment.
- Tyre chain maintenance including changing chains, tensioning chains and repairing of tyre chains.
- Daily tyre pressure checks and inspections on all mining equipment.
- Recording all tyre information on tyre change outs and tyre pressure/inspection checks.
- Carry out administrative functions as identified by Supervisor
- Identify worn and faulty components and report.
- Contribute to good housekeeping routines.
- Understand and adhere to company’s policies and procedures.
Job Specific Competencies
- Ability to show initiative and have good interpersonal skills
- Accurate records management
- Flexibility and willingness to learn.
- Must have good communication skills in the English language
- Must be familiar with and adhere to safe working practice.
Key Job Attributes
- Able to handle work with a great sense of professionalism
- Possesses good organizational skills
- Good, oriented person
- Maintain a professional approach to duties and responsibilities with the capability of making timely, rational decisions and an ability to meet deadlines.
- Act with honesty and integrity in all areas: maintain confidentiality in dealings with subordinates, clients and customers.
- Demonstrate accuracy, time management and organizational skills.
- Maintain a professional work ethic through effective, honest communication with supervisors, peers, and subordinates.
- Commitment to reach or exceed maintenance, operational and safety goals.
- Work effectively in a team environment, supporting other team members when needed.
- Able to read, understand and reference maintenance manuals.
- The ability and drive to manage maintenance work group in a technically challenging and geographically remote maintenance environment.
- Sound planning, analytical, and problem-solving skills.
- Well-developed interpersonal, written and oral communication skills in English.
Qualifications and Experience
- Must have Grade 12 Certificate
- Current Certificate Tyre management or Tyre Chain management or equivalent.
- Minimum 2 years mining tyre/rim/chain experience on Mobile Mine equipment.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and having driving experience for 12 months.
- Must be familiar with safe working practices.
- Experience in Tyre management systems.
- Experience in Mining is an added advantage