At First Quantum, we free the talent of our people by taking a very different approach which is underpinned by a very different, very definite culture – the “First Quantum Way”.
Working with us is not like working anywhere else, which is why we recruit people who will take a bolder, smarter approach to spot opportunities, solve problems and deliver results.
Our culture is all about encouraging you to think independently and to challenge convention to deliver the best result. That’s how we continue to achieve extraordinary things in extraordinary locations.
Overall Job Purpose
Reporting directly to the appointed workshop supervisor, the incumbent of the role will be responsible for providing the highest quality services and ensure all services provided, are performed within a safe and timely manner.
Specific Job Responsibility
- Carry out planned maintenance jobs as per OEM Standard and work order completion.
- Perform a high standard in machining, milling and boring (as required by a workshop environment).
- Maintain excellent customer relations through frequent communication.
- Prepare accurate service and repair reports in a timely manner.
- Be a self-starter and able to work autonomously and as part of a team.
- Demonstrate a commitment to workplace safety and the safety of co-workers.
- Be accurate, methodical, practical and safety-conscious when using workshop equipment and tools.
- Compliance to safe working standards and documents such as: JSA’s, Work Procedure’s, SWI’s, etc. in the rebuild workshop.
- Ensure compliance with Safety and Environmental Management systems, policies and procedures along with ensuring that all risks have been identified, managed and a safe working environment is maintained.
- A clear understanding of preventative maintenance, strong communication skills and a flexible “can do” work ethic.
- Ensure good housekeeping practices are maintained by cleaning up before, during and after every task and not leaving any hazards within the workplace.
- Have the ability to diagnose faults with equipment through observation.
- Coordinate with departmental and team members, as well as process departmental members.
- Has the ability to take care of; mine issued hand tools and workshop equipment; by following operating instructions, troubleshooting breakdowns, maintaining supplies, performing preventive maintenance and calling for repairs.
- Assist in the proactive identification of repair and maintenance works required, which includes raising work requests.
- Ensure that all completed work orders are closed out with accurate time confirmations and be able to assist in compiling service and repair reports in a timely manner.
- Ensure work relations are followed through frequent communication with other parties involved.
- Ensure that all tools, plant and equipment are kept in good condition, meet required safety standards and are available for use when required.
- Keep supplies ready by inventorying stock; placing orders; verifying receipts.
- Repair and service all plant equipment to the established requirements.
- Any other duties, as per instruction from direct line supervisor.
Job Specific Competencies
- Central workshop machining, with preference of fixed plants will be advantageous.
- The ability to measure and read Engineering detail drawings.
- Troubleshooting and fault-finding abilities.
- The ability to make informed decisions.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills.
- Be able to work overtime if the need arises.
- Be able to adhere to safety requirements for the task at hand.
- Ability to be exposed to dust, heat and noise in a controlled fixed process plant environment.
Key Job Attributes
- Bolder (accept new challenges and identify opportunities for improvement).
- Smarter (improve our long term focus and improve efficiencies).
- Drive (ensure work are done correctly and improve working standards).
- Together (be part of a team and build credibility).
- Drive the THINK site process.
- A positive, self-motivated and conscientious attitude.
- A positive attitude towards timekeeping and working hours.
Qualifications and Experience
- A Craft certificate as a machinist fitter and turner from a recognized Zambian institution [higher qualifications will be advantageous].
- A Grade 12 school certificate
- 3 years’ experience in the mining maintenance industry or equivalent private industry as a qualified artisan machinist.
- Troubleshooting abilities on various types of pumps, gearboxes and various types of valves (experience in hydraulics and cyclones will be advantageous).
- Machining workshop experience in crushing, milling, flotation, tailings, reagents, and water services (with preference given to fixed plant experience).
- A fully paid member of the Engineering Institute of Zambia [EIZ].
- Experience/knowledge to operate fork-lifts, man-lifts and overhead cranes will be advantageous.
- A valid Zambian light vehicle driving permit.