To assist the Artisan Bricklayer to perform all refractory, acid proofing and civil installation and maintenance work. That will include but not be limited to bricklaying, casting, ramming and gunning, carpentry, scaffolding work and drilling PSC tuyere holes.
- This position will be required to adhere to all relevant requirements, policies, procedures and legal regulations pertaining to health, safety, environment and quality, as well as finance, human resources, and any other regulations as required by the company and relevant to the level of the role and responsibilities of the function.
The Assistant will / must be able to:
- Demolish and assist during re-building refractory lined furnaces, vessels, ladles and launders, according to design drawings, adhering to the supplier’s preparation and installation guidelines
- Demolish and assist during installing acid resistant linings
- Demolish and assist during building/casting civil structures
- Responsible of maintaining the house keeping during and after every refractory work
- Be able to safely and productively operate all mason tools and equipment
- Perform basic rigging including slinging of equipment and crane hand signalling (to crane drivers)
- Use hoist’s (hand chain and pendant control operations) for lifting and placement of associated steel-casings, -formers, refractory materials and equipment
- Perform all tasks as instructed by the artisan and or supervisor
- Minimum of a Grade 12 Full Certificate with passes in at least five subjects including English & Mathematics
- Craft Certificate in Mason or Bricklaying is added advantage
- A minimum of 1-year experience in a Smelter environment, working with the Refractory team
- Knowledge in using pneumatic devices such as breakers, vibrators, drilling machines
- Knowledge in using electric devices such as brick saw, drilling machines, vibrators, jig saw
- Ideally- Basic fitting experience (bolting, and fixing, etc.)
- Ideally molten metal and acid plant experience
To apply for this job please visit firstquantumcareers.com.