Agency: Resident Coordinator Office
Title: Associate Development Coordination Officer, Data Management & Results Monitoring/Reporting
Job ID: 22478
Practice Area – Job Family: UN CoordinationManagement
Vacancy End Date: (Midnight New York, USA) 19/04/2019
Duty Station: Lusaka, Zambia
Education & Work Experience: G-Bachelor’s Level Degree – 4 year(s) experience, I-Master’s Level Degree – 2 year(s) experience
Vacancy Type: FTA Local
Posting Type: External
Contract Duration: One (1) year, with possibility of extension
Open to Zambian Nationals only.
The UN system in Zambia supports development operations in the country through the activities of UN system agencies represented on the ground. The UN Resident Coordinator’s Office (RCO) in Zambia is responsible for managing the overall coordination of the UN system’s support to national development objectives. These include support to UN reform efforts towards ‘Delivering as One’ (DaO), UN inter-agency coordination and performance management under the Zambia-UN Sustainable Development Partnership Framework 2016-2021 (Partnership Framework) and joint programmes, monitoring, policy analysis and advocacy on the Sustainable Development Goals, engagement on the national aid effectiveness agenda and promoting UN collaboration with relevant state and non-state partners.
The position is located in the United Nations Resident Coordination Office (RCO) in Lusaka, Zambia and typically reports to the Senior Development Coordination Officer, Strategic Planning and RCO Team Leader.
Within delegated authority, the Associate Development Coordination Officer, Data Management and Results Monitoring/Reporting will be responsible of the following duties: (These duties are generic and may not be carried out by all Associate Development Coordination Officers, Data Management and Results Monitoring/Reporting.)
Summary of Functions:
- Provides substantive support for the development and implementation of UN Country Team (UNCT) data and research strategies.
- Assists in the development and expansion of strategic research and data partnerships.
- Undertakes monitoring and reporting of UNCT results.
- Supports knowledge management and capacity development.
Provides substantive support for the development and implementation of the UNCT data and research strategies
- Assists in the design and implementation of the UNCT’s data and research strategy, in alignment with the Country Common Analysis (CCA) and UN Partnership Framework;
- Undertakes empirical analysis, data mining and visualization, as assigned, to assist the Resident Coordinator (RC) and UNCT, including results groups, in developing reports and working papers on sustainable development topics;
- Compiles and analyses information on the latest developments of the use of new types of data sources and tools (e.g. big data) for sustainable development;
- Provides substantive and analytical support to RC/UNCT in preparing and positioning the UN to accelerate the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) in the country, including the drafting of reports, as well as analytical and position papers;
- Contributes to UNCT research and development of data and research tools and methodologies at the country level;
- Keeps abreast of emerging development issues to optimize UNCT’s analytical capacity to respond to national priorities;
- Contributes substantively to the development and implementation of peer review and quality assurance mechanisms for UNCT’s research products;
- Administers UNINFO planning, monitoring and reporting system and contributes to the development of the One UN Country Results Report.
Assists in the development and expansion of strategic research and data partnerships, including with UN entities at regional and HQ level, government counterparts, research institutes, leading global thinkers on development, and civil society, among others
- Supports the UN’s work with national data and statistical systems, facilitating engagement with national entities and data systems;
- Communicates and coordinates with existing partners and helps form new partnerships with UN agencies, academia, the private sector, and governmental agencies to further the use of data science for development;
- Communicates and coordinates with internal and external partners on data collection and project/research implementation;
- Supports the convening of key thinkers on sustainable development and 2030 Agenda to provide inputs on, advise and steer the UNCT’s research and data agenda;
- Assists in strengthening the UNCT’s partnerships with research institutions and similar entities across the UN system though concrete collaboration on areas of the 2030 agenda.
Undertakes monitoring and reporting of UNCT results under the UN Partnership Framework
- Supports inter-agency efforts on results and progress monitoring and reporting on the UNDAF and Joint Programmes, particularly through UNINFO;
- Assists in preparing the Partnership Framework monitoring and evaluation (M&E) framework and reporting results at country, regional and global levels;
- Contributes to independent evaluations of UN Partnership Framework as a key element of the Partnership Framework cycle, and other interagency work related to monitoring, evaluation and reporting;
- Serves as country focal point for country-level, regional and global M&E initiatives and networks.
Supports knowledge management and capacity development related to data and monitoring
- Assists in the sharing of best practices within the UNCT and with UNCTs in the (sub)region and globally, based on a solid understanding of the incentives that people need to utilize knowledge;
- Advocates for knowledge sharing, inspiring others within the RCO and UNCT to contribute their expertise through internal and external platforms and tools, working closely with colleagues at the regional level to ensure usable knowledge is shared between and applied by UNCTs;
- Assists in the identification of good practices and lessons learned at the different levels of the UN System (national, regional and global) and share findings with HQ, Regional and country colleagues so that best practices benefit UN’s work;
- Contributes to the UNCT’s exchange of best practice, trends, knowledge and lessons learned with external partners;
- Provides substantive support for assigned thematic activities and knowledge-sharing forums and encourages others to participate;
- Contributes to knowledge sharing (including through training and peer exchange) amongst UN staff on issues related to UN strategic planning frameworks, methodologies and tools;
- Draws upon other UN experiences, lessons learned and knowledge networking to provide contributions to strategic planning processes.
- Ability to make new and useful ideas work
- Ability to persuade others to follow
- Ability to improve performance and satisfaction
- Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform
- Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement
- Ability to lead the design and implementation of UN programme activities, strengthening of strategic partnerships for Partnership Framework implementation;
- Ability to build and sustain effective partnerships with UN Agencies and main constituents, advocate effectively, communicate sensitively across different constituencies.
Partnering and Networking
- Initiates and sustains relationships with key constituents;
- Builds and sustains effective partnerships with UN agencies;
- Advocates effectively, engaging others to take action in desired directions;
- Communicates sensitively and effectively across different constituencies;
- Seeks and applies knowledge information and best practices from within and outside the UN Country Team.
People Skills and Feedback
- Recognizes and responds appropriately to the ideas, interests and concerns of others;
- Builds trust and engenders morale by displaying open, transparent and credible behavior;
- Respects individual/ cultural differences;
- Utilises diversity to foster teamwork;
- Ensures others’ understanding of, involvement in and adaptation to change processes.
Management and Leadership
- Leads teams effectively and possesses good conflict resolution skills;
- Produces quality outputs in a timely manner when assigned a given task;
- Analyses problems carefully and logically, leading to fact-based and practical recommendations;
- Focuses on impact and result for the UN System;
- Sound strategic planning expertise and familiarity with results-based management instruments and their application;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Remains calm, in control and good-humoured even under pressure;
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities.
- Master’s Degree in Social Sciences, Economics, International Relations, Strategic Information, or related field. A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- Minimum 2 years of post-qualification relevant experience at the national or international level in coordination, monitoring and reporting of activities and funding for results using an integrated outcome approach, including experience preferably from developing countries;
- Previous UN field and coordination experience will be considered an asset;
- In-depth knowledge of the UN system, UN reform and its operational mandates, would be an advantage;
- Previous experience working in Resident Coordination Office is an asset Demonstrable experience establishing outreach and partnerships;
- Knowledge of humanitarian system is considered an asset.
Important applicant information
All posts in the GS categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
To apply please visit jobs.partneragencies.net.