Website Avencion Limited
About the organization
Avencion is a Zambian-owned organization that delivers innovative and technology-driven development solutions through research to strengthen government, companies, organizations, and communities within Zambia.
About the Project
With support from the Bill and Melinda Gates foundation, Avencion in collaboration with Boston University School of Public Health implements a COVID-19 mortality surveillance project. The project aims to measure the prevalence of COVID-19 deaths across persons of all ages, determine the relative contribution of the different COVID-19 variants by genotyping CV-19+ samples (Ct<30) as they are identified and characterize the pathology of fatal COVID-19 among pediatric deaths using minimally invasive tissue sampling.
About the opportunity
Avencion is looking for a talented Laboratory Scientist to join our Boston University Lusaka Covid Impact Study (BU-LCIS) team based at the University Teaching Hospital in Lusaka. This is an internship position with a possible offer of fulltime position. We are looking for a highly motivated team player!
The BU-LCIS laboratory team performs molecular testing on project samples. In this position, you will be responsible for delivering a range of operational laboratory activities as outlined below.
Laboratory Quality Management System
- Ensure that all Basic Laboratory Standard requirements, which includes Internal Quality Controls (IQC) and External Quality Control (EQA) activities, are always performed on all tests performed in the Laboratory, according to the standard guidelines and are well documented.
- Carry out basic trouble shooting on all IQC results failing out the acceptable standards.
- Ensure a conducive testing and sample and reagent storage environment by monitoring room and Freezer Temperatures, cleaning, and disinfection of workspaces.
Assay Preparation of Study Materials
- Exhibit competence in the preparation of assays for PCR, i.e Probe and Primer reconstitution, Probe and Primer dilutions.
- Exhibit competence in assay dilution to working stock.
- Demonstrate excellent pipette skills.
- Ensure good storage of working stock reagents by aliquoting and labelling as per Good Laboratory Practice (GLP) guidelines.
- Demonstrate excellent ability to carry out stock taking for all laboratory supplies
- Ability to make laboratory commodity projection for use on studies.
- Conduct assessments, maintain, and ensure proper storage of laboratory supplies.
- Provide a supplies track system to monitor the shelf life of laboratory commodities.
Maintenances of Laboratory Equipment
- Carry out and document routine maintenance of all equipment in the laboratory.
- Monitor equipment servicing date and report to supervisor when servicing dates are due.
- Ensure decontamination of nucleic acid extraction machines.
- Ensuring that all equipment is kept clean and contamination free.
Quality Assurance of the Study Results
- Successfully carry out calibration runs (efficiency ≥98, slope -3) on Positive controls of a 1 in 10 serial dilution.
- Demonstrate knowledge in Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) set up and show understanding of reporters and quenchers, including dye emission spectra.
- Test newly procured reagent efficiency.
- Demonstrate good technical ability to develop
- Demonstrate an active scientific mindset by participating in scientific workshops, conferences, and symposiums.
- Organize and compile data on research being conducted
Qualifications And Experience
Minimum Required Qualifications and Experience:
- BSc in Biomedical Sciences/ Medical Laboratory Sciences
- Minimum 6 months working in Molecular testing laboratory.
- Excellent verbal, written communication, and great coordination skill
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Sufficient understanding of International Organization for Standardization (ISO) 15189 requirements
- Excellent attention to detail and laboratory processes
- Registration with Health Professions Council of Zambia (HPCZ)
- Research and data analysis skills
- Sufficient knowledge of Good Clinical Laboratory Practices (GCLP).
- Researcher registration with National Health Research Authority (NHRA)
- Experience in Quality Management implementation
How to apply
Candidates meeting the above criteria should apply via the link here no later than Monday 27th November 2023.
*Kindly not that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.