At First Quantum, we free the talent of our people by taking a very different approach which is underpinned by a very different, very definite culture – the “First Quantum Way”.
Working with us is not like working anywhere else, which is why we recruit people who will take a bolder, smarter approach to spot opportunities, solve problems and deliver results.
Our culture is all about encouraging you to think independently and to challenge convention to deliver the best result. That’s how we continue to achieve extraordinary things in extraordinary locations.
Overall Job Purpose:
The position exists rovide the activities of maintenance, repairs and installation of all conveyor belt related works at the Sentinel mine site and belt repairs in the Rubber, Ceramic & Splicing workshop. This role will support the smooth running of the conveyor belts in order to achieve acceptable equipment availability at the Sentinel mines.
Specific Job Responsibilities:
The specific tasks to be performed by the position holder will include;
- To Perform any other duties as reasonably assigned by the section Supervisor or Superintendent.
- To carry out online and offline PMs (preventive maintenance) on conveyor belts and report to the supervisor.
- To carry out new conveyor belt installation and conveyor belt change out.
- To carry out plant shutdown jobs within our area of responsibility.
- To carry out cold room splicing material auditing and report to the supervisor.
- The position will be expected to positively impact and contribute to the performance of the company through individual activity.
- To carry out workshop conveyor belt repairs and rubber related works.
- To carry out cold and hot repairs on conveyor belt.
Job Specific Competencies:
- Ability to show initiative and have good interpersonal skills.
- Experience with both hot and cold conveyor belt splicing.
- Able to recognize the cause of damage to the conveyor belt and pulley lagging works found on routine inspections and report correctly.
- Ability to meet deadlines of the task as expected by the section supervisor.
- Ability to continue improving in safety performance as per site safety standard.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills.
- Ability to reach or exceed maintenance, operational and safety goals as per site standard.
- Ability to plan for the job given and do it in the safe manner.
- Ability to do housekeeping within and outside the workshop.
- Ability to work in shifts.
- Ability to measure the required counterweight slack as per splicing procedure.
- Ability to inspect and determine correct preparation of all substrates prior to splicing.
- Able to bond to different materials (cement, steel, ceramic wear resistance and rubber).
- Able to identify and mixed splicing chemicals.
Key Job Attributes:
- Capability of making timely, rational decisions.
- Sound analytical and problem solving skills.
- Well-developed interpersonal, written and oral communication skills in English.
- Honesty and integrity.
- Confidentiality and able to work under minimum supervision
- Highly motivated & driven
- Methodological and organized.
- Ability to work under pressure.
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment
- Able to pass all health examinations.
Experience required to perform in this job:
- 1 – 2 years’ experience in a maintenance role covering belt splicing & rubber lining as well as pulley lagging.
- 1 – 2 Years’ experience in high output workshops with a high aptitude in splicing, ceramic & rubber initiatives required of today’s mining industry.
- 1 – 3 Years’ experience in both ceramic pulley lagging and rubber repairs.
- 2 – 3 Years hands on skills and experience with large multi skill operations both ceramic & rubber being undertaken simultaneously within tight time restrictions exposure would be an advantage.
- Previous experience with chute and hopper relines in both ceramic & rubber would be well regarded.
- 2 – 3 Years demonstrable experience with fixed plant maintenance will be an advantage.
- A minimum of the appropriate certification with experience in rubber & belt splicing repairs in fixed plant & workshop relining environments.
- minimum grade 12 school certificate.
- A craft certificate in cold and hot splice.
- A trained and competent vulcanization machine technician and able to drive.