Berakah Human Capital Solutions
Human Resources Officer Position
Profile of the Organization
Our Client, Mafisa, is strengthening climate-smart, productive pastoralist livelihoods in Zambia’s poorest and most climate-impacted regions. They are developing a replicable, profitable model that will help traditional cattle-raising communities to increase ownership, improve herd health and adopt regenerative rangeland management, and create fair market opportunities so they will have larger, more sustainable incomes.
Mafisa works in very poor traditional cattle-raising communities, where livestock is the only option for a viable and sustainable livelihood. Production is currently low and access to markets is poor. Current poor health and rangeland degradation means that the carbon footprint is high. Mafisa has developed a four-step model to break the pastoralist poverty trap and achieve this mission:
WE DO – Animal health services
SO THAT – All farmers in target communities use Mafisa health & management practices
WE DO – Regenerative grazing
SO THAT – All farmers in target communities adopt regenerative
WE DO – Market Access
SO THAT – Mainstream buyers buy animals at fair market prices
WE DO – Community Engagement
SO THAT – Livelihoods programmes for women and non-livestock farmers
Regenerative grazing restores grasslands and sequesters carbon. From 2023, Mafisa is expanding operations with the aim of supporting operations through carbon financing. This is an innovative programme – a methodology that has only been used once before, a new program for a young Zambian non-profit, and a significant expansion in NGO programming in the livestock sector.
The Zayohub Human Resources (HR) Officer, plays a critical role in leading the human resources function within the organization. S/he is responsible for various HR functions, including recruitment, employee relations, performance management, and HR administration. This role contributes to fostering a positive work environment, promoting employee engagement, and ensuring compliance with HR policies and regulations.
Reporting and Place of Performance
The Human Resources Officer (HRO) will be based in Lusaka and shall report to the Chief Financial Officer. The position will be for a Fixed Term Annual Renewable Contract and the job holder will supervise one assistant.
- Developing and implementing HR strategies and initiatives aligned with the overall organizational strategy
- Overseeing and managing the recruitment and selection process, including job postings, screening resumes, and conducting interviews
- Managing employee onboarding and offboarding processes, while ensuring a smooth transition for new hires and departing employees
Administering employee benefits programs, including health insurance, retirement plans, and leave days
- Maintaining employee records and ensuring compliance with all relevant laws and regulations
- Providing guidance and support to supervisors and employees on HR-related matters, including performance management (manage a performance appraisal system to drive high performance), disciplinary actions, and grievance procedure
- Conducting regular training sessions on HR policies, procedures, and best practices
- Collaborating with supervisors to identify staffing needs and developing workforce planning strategies (including addressing absences/staff shortfalls due to medical leave, maternity leave, resignations, etc).
- Ensuring supervisor and employee conduct is aligned with internal HR policy
- Staying up-to-date on HR trends and best practices to ensure the organization remains competitive in attracting and retaining top talent
- Review payroll before payments.
- Ability to develop Job descriptions
Minimum Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in human resources or related field.
- Holder of Zambia Institute of Human Resource Management (ZIHRM) practicing license
- Proven experience as a Human Resources Officer or similar role
- Data analysis skills with the ability to collect, analyze, and present HR metrics to inform decision-making
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills to effectively interact with employees at all levels of the organization
- Able to maintain confidentiality
- In-depth knowledge of HR principles, practices, and legal requirements
- Strong understanding of change management principles and experience leading organizational change initiatives
Please send a 2-page CV that includes 3 professional references to [email protected] by 12:00 hours on 31st October 2023. TWO REFERENCES MUST INCLUDE FORMER IMMEDIATE SUPERVISORS. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.