Website Biocarbon Partners
BCP is a leading African conservation company which aims to generate sustainable conservation finance through the forest carbon markets. We are working with Community and Government partners to help improve the conservation management over 1 million hectares of globally significant wildlife habitats in Zambia, and to benefit 225,000 people. Most of the project areas are located in Game Management Areas bordering strategic National Parks in Eastern and Lusaka Province, governed by management agreements between local communities, the Government of Zambia, and BCP.
BCP is recruiting for the following position: Senior Agriculture Officer. This role is responsible for increasing food production and nutrition security in LZRP and Part of LCFP partner Chiefdoms. This role needs to contribute to getting LCFP CCB Triple Gold verification ready by 2022. In addition, this role is responsible for improving incomes of household around LZRP and LCFP Project Areas in Rufunsa, Luangwa and Kafue Districts by sustainably growing enough crops for subsistence and excess surplus sales. The Senior Agriculture Officer has a key role in engagement by communicating to communities that these livelihood investments are a result of protecting community forests through the REDD+ project.
STUFF WE WILL TRUST YOU WITH.
- Partnerships with GRZ, NGOs, and other partners to scale up climate smart land preparation, planting, irrigation and harvesting within Rufunsa, Luangwa and Kafue Districts.
- Technical support to partners and communities to maximize yields and household food security in Rufunsa Luangwa and Kafue Districts.
- Improvements in food and nutrition security and household incomes for 2000 households in Rufunsa.
- Catalysing Rufunsa, Luangwa and Kafue Districts farmer sales and marketing of surplus crops.
- Innovative Climate Smart Agriculture demonstration plots to eliminate the need for communities to make use of fertilizers or tractors.
- Introducing diversification of drought and flood resistant crops (e.g. Millet, Sorghum and Cassava)
- Plan and direct development and production of hybrid plant varieties with high yield or disease and insect resistant characteristics that are area specific and do well in Rufunsa, Luangwa and Kafue Districts.
- To effectively communicate internally & externally following the BOB ‘breakthroughs & blockages’ principle
- Actively contributing to communications efforts i.e. slack, blogs, images and face book updates
PROBLEM SOLVERS WANTED.
- Relevant bachelor’s degree from an agricultural college
- Minimum 5 years’ relevant work experience required in an agricultural sector
- Computer skills and full command of Microsoft applications required
- Demonstrates integrity, fairness and cultural sensitivity and adaptability
- Strong commitment to achieving goals laid out by company
- Establish strong leadership skills in the form of resourcefulness, initiative and maturity of judgement.
- Ability to establish effective working relations in a multicultural team environment.
- Candidate must be innovative and develop techniques for conservation farming
- Ability to work and cope in a stressful environment with tight deadlines
- Ability to motivate a team to achieve a common goal
STUFF YOU’LL TELL PEOPLE AT PARTIES.
Helping to conserve over 565 million trees, and with close to 7 million tons of carbon emissions reduced to date, both BCP implemented REDD+ Projects have been verified against the Verified Carbon Standard, the world’s leading voluntary Greenhouse Gas program. In 2021, the LZRP is the only project in Africa to receive 8 consecutive verifications and only the second in the World to achieve this! While it is also Africa’s first CCBA Triple Gold Project, with ‘Gold’ level verification against all three categories of the Climate, Community, and Biodiversity Standard (CCBA) for its exceptional climate change impacts and community and biodiversity benefits. The LCFP has achieved CCBA Triple Gold Validation for exceptional community impact. Awarded Best Individual Offsetting Project and Impact Monitoring Report in the World in the Environmental Finance Voluntary Carbon Markets Ranking 2021, and ranked in the top 0.5% of B Corps globally 2021, BCP offers carbon offsets with World class benefits. Under our 30 – Cubed goal, by 2030, BCP is set to deliver on our goal of avoiding 30 million tons of emissions annually, benefitting 3 million people, and partnering with communities across 30 million acres of globally significant wildlife habitat.
WE EVEN DO BENEFITS DIFFERENTLY.
As an equal opportunity employer, a competitive salary will be offered, plus training, plus the potential for performance bonuses, plus travel opportunities for work, plus health benefits, plus a great work culture, plus career growth, plus working with a diverse and committed team.
Candidates interested in joining an innovative and high-performance team, and working towards doing amazing things in conservation technology and livelihoods, please send a CV, a cover letter, and anything else that makes your application stand out by email to [email protected] clearly indicating the position you are applying for, re : Senior Agriculture Officer – Chinyunyu based, in the subject line. Please also send 3 reference contacts, and anything else that will help your application stand out.
Females are encouraged to apply.
Applications accepted from 16th September, 2022 until the position is filled.