Mary Begg Health Services
* Please note that the employer has closed this job to new applicants due to the number of applications already submitted
MARY BEGG HEALTH SERVICES
POSITION: BIOMEDICAL TECHNOLOGIST (2)
LOCATION: MARY BEGG HEALTH SERVICES – SOLWEZI KMH
CONTRACT TYPE: FIXED TERM 1 YEAR
KEY ROLE ACCOUNTABILITIES:
- Ensure that the laboratory, its equipment and all laboratory services provided are maintained to a standard of professional excellence.
- Deliver clinically competent phlebotomy services using proper technique and sterile equipment.
- Ensure that the Infection Control Policy is followed at all times.
- Ensure that patient confidentiality is respected and kept at all times.
- Ensure that clinical knowledge is maintained and updated in order to perform all required duties effectively.
- Be accessible at all times when rostered to be ‘on call’ for shift work or medical emergencies.
- Maintain quality control checks as designated by the Laboratory Quality Assurance Manager.
- Demonstrating caring and compassion behaviour towards patients and understand their anxieties surrounding laboratory tests.
- Carry out sampling, testing, measuring, recording and analysing of results according to MBCC standard operating procedures.
- Draw quality blood samples from patients using correct technique and sterile equipment.
- Preparing specimens and samples following strict safety precautions.
- Properly dispose of used needles in the appropriate containers.
- Follow standard procedure with regards to needle stick injuries.
- Responsible for accurately labelling all patient blood and bodily samples (with patient name, date of birth, date of sample collection etc.) in line with standard operating procedure.
- Construct, maintain and operate standard laboratory equipment, for example centrifuges, titrators, pipetting machines and pH meters.
- Receive blood from the Regional Blood Bank, test, and record accurate and detailed information prior to blood transfusion in line with national and local procedures.
- Competent in handling and storing chemicals and reagents.
- Responsible for maintaining required cold chain regulations.
- Responsible for monitoring expiry dates on all reagents and chemicals.
- Responsible for accurately completing all patient billing sheet.
- Responsible for monitoring adequate stock levels and maintaining minimum/maximum levels.
- Calibrate equipment by applying approved testing procedures.
- Must serve as a technical resource by participating in staff training and answering questions from other health professionals.
- Identify and communicate abnormal patient results by alerting the requesting doctor in a timely manner.
- Use and maintain correct personal protective equipment (PPE) such as eye protection, lab coats and gloves.
- Promptly report any potential hazards, breakages and faults to the maintenance officer or clinic/hospital manager.
- Read the material safety data sheets for any hazardous products that you use and follow any recommended safety precautions.
- Contribute to a safe and secure environment for patients, healthcare professionals and co-workers by following established standards and procedures.
- Comply with all national legal regulations.
- Report to the Laboratory Quality Assurance Manager weekly and monthly with specific statistics and quality control testing results.
- Maintain patient confidence by keeping laboratory information confidential at all times.
Qualifications, Experience & Skills required
- Must have a Diploma in Biomedical technology or country equivalent
- Must be registered with the Health Professions Council of Zambia (HPCZ) and have a valid license to practice.
- Experience with PCR/Molecular (added advantage)
- Strong Communication. Interpersonal & Influential Skill
- Fluent in written and spoken English
- Fluent in local languages relevant to the local community
- Counselling Skills
- High degree of IT literacy
- 3 years’ experience
HOW TO APPLY
Only candidates meeting the minimum requirements will be shortlisted and contacted