Job Title: Senior Software Developer
Reports to: Manager – Technology Consulting
Terms: Full-time, 24 months (Renewable Contract)
Location: Lusaka (Primary); Hybrid/Remote
Start Date: ASAP
BongoHive supports entrepreneurs of any background, by enhancing skills, accelerating growth, strengthening networks of collaboration, and helping them navigate the barriers to growth. BongoHive delivers its support to enterprises through custom incubation and accelerator programmes.
Utilising this knowledge of the level and type of support required to build strong cohorts of startups and scale-up enterprises, BongoHive also provides custom interventions to SMEs and corporations through its Consult arm. The Consult team delivers tailored structured innovation and digital transformation consultancy that allows clients to grow their market through new ideas, products, approaches and technology.
BongoHive also offers flexible coworking offices for startups and entrepreneurs under the Hive Coworking brand.
The purpose of the BongoHive Consult Tech team is to, “To create sustainable value through wisdom, understanding and mastery of design and technology”. As a Senior Software Developer, you will demonstrate that you are aligned with our purpose.
As a senior software developer, you will use human-centered design to interrogate how relevant and sustainable a proposed solution is. You are responsible for user research, input into the design phase, user stories, architecture, software development, documentation and training.
You will demonstrate an understanding of the impact that design has on the architecture and development of a software solution. You will use your experience of human-centred design to interact with the target audience to create the best platform possible with the available resources. You will also demonstrate the value of collaboration and business continuity. You will be paired with software developer interns on a rotational basis and will drive our effort to constantly improve our project and process documentation. You will be individually responsible for making sure that you communicate project and process information to other members of the organization so that your absence does not unnecessarily retard progress.
You will be responsible for designing system architecture and committing tested, secure and maintainable code in collaboration with your teammates.
- Advocate for improvements to solution quality, security, and performance that have a particular impact on your team
- Solve technical problems of high scope, complexity and scale
- Communicate – ask critical questions, give constructive feedback, give status updates and constantly improve the quality of your communication (in person and remotely)
- Guide software developer interns on a rotational basis
- Write user stories
- Write tests
- Interrogate application design (user experience and architecture)
- Commit and deploy highly functional and maintainable code
- Interact with APIs
- Perform code reviews
- Understand client needs and map them into elegant software solutions
- Write documentation
- Be an example to interns on the team by being punctual, supportive, collaborative and deliberate about maintaining documentation
- Lead at least one 1-hour investment day session on a topic of your choice
- Occasionally answer customer support questions
- Occasional setup of hardware, software and networking
- Occasionally participate in on-call support rotations
What we are looking for
- Degree in Computer Science/ Information Technology or Diploma in Computer related field (or higher experience)
- Experience with human-centred design (HCD)
- Excellent knowledge of relevant languages and technologies (including
- Analytical and communication skills
- Exceptional collaboration ability
- Ability to work without much supervision
- Curiosity, and a willingness to experiment, ask questions and learn
- Confidence in user research practices
- Engagement with the latest design research and innovation
- Must have at least one deployed project
Deadline for Applications
23:59hrs, Friday 10 November 2023