Job Title: Marketing & Communications Lead
Reports to: Executive Director
Terms: Full-time, 24 months (Renewable Contract)
Location: Lusaka (Primary); Hybrid/Remote
Start Date: ASAP
Deadline for applications: Midnight, 18 September 2022
BongoHive supports entrepreneurs of any background, by enhancing skills, accelerating growth, strengthening networks of collaboration, and helping them navigate the barriers to growth. BongoHive delivers its support to enterprises through custom incubation and accelerator programmes.
Utilising this knowledge of the level and type of support required to build strong cohorts of startups and scale-up enterprises, BongoHive also provides custom interventions to SMEs and corporations through its Consult arm. The Consult team delivers tailored structured innovation and digital transformation consultancy that allows clients to grow their market through new ideas, products, approaches and technology.
BongoHive also offers flexible coworking offices for startups and entrepreneurs under the Hive Coworking brand.
To increase the reach and impact of the BongoHive Group’s profile and visibility through the delivery of high-value and influential marketing, communications and PR in Zambia and internationally, thereby significantly contributing to the development of new partnerships and business opportunities.
To achieve this you will work with the Entrepreneurship, Innovation, Technology, and Coworking teams, developing and implementing a marketing and communications strategy across a range of reactive and strategically planned opportunities in print, media, events and online.
You will manage a small communications team motivating and supporting staff to deliver high-quality work and will have an active role in implementing marketing and communication activities for the entire organisation.
In this role, you will work closely with our Project Lead, Innovation Lead, Consult Tech Lead, Community Liaison, and Director of Entrepreneurship and Innovation to support our clients in building products and services their customers love.
- Develop and deliver creative marketing and communication strategies, plans and approaches to help market and position BongoHive to attract partners and new business.
- Plan the marketing and communications strategies for specific areas of BongoHive’s work and for different audiences. Work with the communication, programme and senior management teams to put the strategy into practice. This will include:
- Design and develop creative communication and marketing products – presentations, briefings, etc. that will maximise BongoHive’s message, support business objectives and contribute to the entrepreneurship and innovation ecosystem.
- Plan and implement direct marketing approaches including targeting, personalisation of messages and measurability; data analysis, customer profiling and segmentation
- Review and implement a digital strategy.
- Ensure the brand meets expectations through monitoring marketing trends and partner and customer feedback.
- Manage the Marketing & Communications budget and ensure milestones related to marketing & communications are achieved on time and within budget.
- Contribute to and strengthen proposals and project reports to ensure robust and creative marketing and communication considerations are adopted.
- Represent BongoHive at external meetings and conferences.
- Organise and manage internal and external events.
- Performance and operational management of a small team working across multiple business units. Inspiring, motivating and supporting staff so that they are thinking and acting at their best, delivering high-quality work, working as an effective team and meeting organisational and individual objectives.
- Support the professional development of the team to continuously develop skills and expertise and support career development aspirations.
- Coordinate (and in some cases manage) the work of external communication consultants and identify new consultants with additional expertise
- Contribute to the overall development of BongoHive’s strategies and plans.
- Ensure the values of participation, partnership, sustainability, social responsibility, cost-effectiveness, transparency and accountability are reflected in your work.
- Any other responsibilities as may reasonably be required from time to time.
- Bachelor’s Degree qualification (preferably in Marketing, Media, Communications or Journalism or relevant field)
- A relevant Master’s Degree qualification is not required but is preferred.
- 3+ years of relevant marketing and communications experience
- Have an excellent understanding of how to use marketing tools and techniques to increase the visibility, profile and reputation of an organisation.
- Have a good understanding of social media and the impact technology is having on communications and collaboration.
Skills & Experience
- A strategic and creative thinker with proven experience in working on diverse and wide-ranging communication strategies including all forms of media
- Strong management and leadership skills demonstrated by evidence of leading high-performing teams that contribute to organisational objectives and show resilience in the face of changing priorities
- Experience in developing and managing strong and complex relationships across programmes as part of a centralised function and externally with multiple stakeholders.
- Experience in working in international development is an added advantage.
- Experience in managing websites.
- Experience in measuring the impact of communications products and changing strategies as a result of the findings.
- Excellent project management skills.
- Proficient in the use of online tools such as Microsoft Office, Google Workspace, Slack, ClickUp, HubSpot, Google Analytics, WordPress, etc
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and an ability to communicate clearly with a range of people from diverse backgrounds and cultures.
- Experience in representing an organisation at external events
- The ability to multi-task in a complex and demanding environment.
- The ability to build and maintain highly effective working relationships with a range of people (both internally and externally).
- Strong attention to detail, and excellent time management skills.
- A commitment to teamwork and working in a collegiate manner.
- Enthusiastic, diplomatic and calm under pressure.
- Ability to develop creative ideas and transform them into practical reality.
- There is an expectation that there will be occasional out-of-hours travel and external/internal events.