The Copperbelt University is a Public University established through an Act of Parliament No. 19 of 1987. The University’s core business is Teaching, Research and Consultancy as a service to the nation. The University is an equal opportunity employer and hereby invites applications from suitably qualified and experienced candidates for appointment to the following positions:
The Bursar is the Chief Financial Officer and is accountable to the Vice Chancellor for the administrative, financial, and risk management operations of the university. The role is responsible for the development of a Financial and Operational Strategy, and monitoring of control systems designed to preserve university assets and report accurate financial results.
As Financial Administrative Head, the Bursar assists the Vice Chancellor to accomplish statutory and mandatory responsibilities as enshrined in the Public University Act Number 4 of 2013.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop financial strategies;
- Monitor and direct the implementation of Strategic Business Plans;
- Manage the Capital request and Budgeting processes (Output Based Budget);
- Develop performance measures that support the university’s Strategic Directions;
- Participate in key decisions as a member of the Executive Management Teams, Strategy and Operations;
- Oversee timely and accurate processing of payroll and payment of salaries;
- Oversee trade creditors’ payment and collection of students and sundry debtors;
- Oversee employee benefit plans, with particular emphasis on maximizing a cost-effective benefits package;
- Supervise investment due diligence and negotiate investments;
- Train the Finance Unit and other staff on raising awareness and knowledge of financial management matters;
- Ensure adequate controls are installed and that substantiating documentation is approved and available such that all purchases may pass independent and governmental audits;
- Develop and maintain systems of internal controls to safeguard financial assets of the institution. Oversee the coordination and activities of independent auditors ensuring all audit issues are resolved, and all compliance issues are met, and the preparation of the annual financial statements is in accordance with international reporting standards; in place; (partly under risk management);
- Oversee the issuance of financial information to the university and all stakeholders and report financial results to Council;
- Oversee compliance with university and statutory regulations;
- Understand and mitigate key elements of the University’s risk profile;
- Report risk issues to the University Audit Committee;
- Maintain relations with external auditors and investigate their findings and recommendations;
- Monitor cash balances and cash forecasts through the Treasury Accountant;
- Arrange for debt and equity financing as necessary;
- Invest any free funds in interest earning and profitable portfolios;
- Participate in conference calls with the investment community and visit as necessary;
- Represent the University with investment bankers and investors by maintaining a firm and strong relationship with the banks.
Academic Qualifications and Relevant Work Experience
The required candidate must have the following qualifications and experience:
- Fully qualified Accountant and member of a recognised international accounting institution (ACCA, CIMA etc);
- Full member of the Zambia Institute of Certified Accountants,
- Master’s degree finance, business administration, or equivalent business experience with a minimum of Ten (10) years of progressively responsible experience in a major company or division of a large corporation;
- Should have experience in partnering with an executive team, and have a high level of written and oral communication skills;
- Preference will be given to candidates with Fellow membership designations of ACCA or CIMA and MBA in Finance.
Required Skills and Attributes
- Honest, trustworthy and high in integrity;
- Must be strategic minded with ability to understand all aspects of running a University;
- Must be Proactive, Analytical, Collaborative, team oriented and have the ability to communicate well with all level of employees and Management;
- Ability to effectively coach and mentor others;
- Sound decision making ability;
- Strong financial generalist/multi-disciplined;
- Strong and high computer literacy;
- Must be well versed with risk management and Insurance matters.
Candidates for each position should submit: detailed Curriculum Vitae with photocopies of credentials and other relevant documents plus names and addresses of Three (3) referees (Two of whom must be in candidate’s field of specialization) should be professionally acquainted with the applicant. Application should be sent to the undersigned no later than 28th February, 2019; Electronic applications to [email protected] and physical applications to:
P O Box 21692
Note that only short-listed candidates will be communicated to.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org