Catholic Relief Services- Zambia Country Program
Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. Our Catholic identify is at the heart of our mission and operations. We welcome as part of our staff and as partner’s people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and commitment to serving those in need.
You will oversee all activities that ensure the accuracy, timeliness, and documentation of the Finance Department’s accounting operations and financial reporting (monthly, quarterly, yearly, and as-needed) in support of high-quality programs serving the poor and vulnerable. You will help set the standard for the Country Program’s (CP’s) financial stewardship through professional maintenance, utilization, and analysis of all cash resources controlled by the CP.
- Oversee accounting processes, policies, and service delivery and maintain accounting controls to ensure accurate, complete, and timely recording and management of financial transactions and internal controls in compliance with CRS’ financial management policies and procedures, Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), donors’ rules and regulations, and legal requirements.
- Ensure Sun Systems financial accounting package is updated with relevant information for capturing accurate financial data (such as daily exchange/conversion rates, cost allocation tools, posting of transactions, etc.).
- Review and analyze financial reports, including cost allocation of shared costs, to verify financial transactions. Prepare balance sheet account reconciliations to ensure all transactions are accurately stated and appropriately classified. Work with relevant staff to address irregularities and resolve accounting issues, and ensure correction of accounting entries and payroll.
- Serve as the key point person on all issues related to financial transaction records. Provide proactive advice, support, and capacity building to managers, and staff to ensure compliance with standards and proper records of financial transactions, as well as to support strengthening of internal control.
- Ensure financial reports are generated accurately and disseminated timely as per established reporting schedules (month end reports) and assist staff with financial reports analysis.
- Oversee maintenance of a good filing system of required supporting documentation to ensure easy access and retrieval, and a reliable and easy to follow audit trail.
- Ensure efficient management of cash flows and availability of sufficient and optimal cash in the CP’s operating account through monitoring cash balances (both cash-in-bank and cash-on-hand), preparing bank reconciliations, analyzing and forecasting cash needs.
- Participate in the monitoring and assessments of subrecipients.
- Supervise staff (Snr Finance Officers payables and receivable and Finance Assistant)
Typical Background, Experience & Requirements:
Education and Experience
- B.A. degree in Accounting, Finance, or a qualification in accounting (CPA/ACCA or equivalent).
- Minimum of three years’ experience in a position with similar responsibilities, preferably with an International NGO.
- Substantial budgeting, budget/expense analysis, and accounting experience.
- Knowledge of the relevant public donors’ regulations preferred.
- Knowledge of local law in the area of taxation and local regulatory reporting procedures.
- Proficient in MS Office packages (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Visio), Web Conferencing Applications. Knowledge of SunSystems financial accounting package or similar financial reporting software preferred.
- Excellent analytical skills with ability to make sound judgment and decisions
- Accuracy and completeness with a strong eye for detail
- Ethical conduct in accordance with recognized professional and organizational codes of ethics
- Proactive, resourceful, solutions oriented and results-oriented
- Ability to work collaboratively
Required/Desired Foreign Language
Travel Required (20%)
Agency-wide Competencies (for all CRS Staff):
These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results.
- Trusting Relationships
- Professional Growth
CRS’ talent acquisition procedures reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Applicants Instructions: Please email a cover letter, and curriculum vitae which should include three references to: [email protected] Please include the position you are applying for in the subject line. Please ensure that you mention www.gozambiajobs.com as the source of this job advertisement.
The closing date for applications is 21st June 2018. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview
All candidates who applied previously for this position will not be considered hence need not apply.