Reports to Provincial Medical Officer – Clinical Services. The incumbent will ensure adherence to SOPs, policies and regulations for provision of quality services in the Laboratories under their charge. He/she will be responsible for strengthening the laboratory courier system for Viral load/CD4 and DBS for EID testing and services to ensure uninterrupted laboratory services. He/she will work closely with the Ministry of health Provincial Health Office, District Health offices and implementing partners to plan and support VL / CD4/EID scale-up and coordinate integrated sample courier systems. The post requires management of motorbike riders and vehicle drivers and ensuring 100% uptime of sample courier and result return services. The position requires implementation of diagnostic lab network optimization (utilizing data to optimize courier and testing services).
- Coordinates a functional Courier System
- Responsible for day to day operations of VL /CD4/DBS specimen courier system in the province under his/her charge.
- Monitors and tracks supply of advanced HIV disease lab commodities like CD4 machine and reagents, TBLAM test, cryptococcus antigen test, etc
- Ensures that systems for sample and result tracking are established and implemented
- Works with the Facilities Department to establish a fueling system in each District and Province
- Ensures that motor vehicle/motor bikes preventive maintenances are done and documented as required by the Standard Operating Procedure.
- Ensures the availability and completion of sample tracking logs by the drivers and riders
- Works with District and Provincial Health Offices to facilitate trainings for riders and drivers
- Ensures that all riders have appropriate protective gear and valid licenses.
- Ensures that all riders and drivers document fuel in their possession, mileage traveled and samples and results are carried to labs and facilities.
- Works with the Ministry of Health staffs and partners in formulating agreeable standards and establish clearly defined courier system methods to be applied in the laboratory.
- Facilitates Hub Laboratory Capacitation
- Works with Districts and Provinces to ensure that Hubs Labs are able to process HIV Viral Load and Early Infant Diagnosis samples.
- Generates a list of supplies and equipment requirements for each Hub Lab.
- Ensures that all Hub labs have the appropriate registers (Hub VL/EID and Facility VL registers).
- Responsible for mentoring facility Health care workers on specimen management (collection, packaging, storage and transportation).
- Provides mentorships on completion of VL and DBS laboratory forms to avoid sample rejections.
- Monitors usage and availability of laboratory commodities used in VL and DBS collection in all facilities.
- Works with the M&E Coordinators to conduct quarterly health facility and Hub assessments.
- Provides eLabs onsite trainings to facility staff.
- Timely submission of all required reports
- Diploma in Biomedical Medical laboratory sciences from a reputable institution
- Minimum of 3 years’ direct work experience preferably in PCR lab
- Minimum of 1 year experience working with Provincial and District Health offices and implementing partners to coordinate activities.
- Registration with the Health Professions Council of Zambia a must
- In possession of a valid Practicing License
- Registration with Biomedical Society of Zambia will be an advantage.
Suitably qualified candidates are invited to apply. However, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.