At First Quantum, we free the talent of our people by taking a very different approach which is underpinned by a very different, very definite culture – the “First Quantum Way”.
Working with us is not like working anywhere else, which is why we recruit people who will take a bolder, smarter approach to spot opportunities, solve problems and deliver results.
Our culture is all about encouraging you to think independently and to challenge convention to deliver the best result. That’s how we continue to achieve extraordinary things in extraordinary locations.
Overall Job Purpose:
To handle all Rubber lining activities both in the plant and in the RCS (Rubber, Ceramic and Splicing) workshop section in order to provide workshop support services to Sentinel Mine.
Specific Job Responsibilities:
The specific tasks to be performed by the position holder will include;
- To carry out online and offline PMs to all rubber lined areas and all pulley lagging.
- To carry out rubber lining and pulley lagging.
- To carry out rubber works during plant shutdowns.
- To prepare all required rubber seals and gaskets.
- To measure and cut the required different size and shapes of rubber.
- To carry out all rubber activities within Kalumbila mine site.
- Follow laid down policies and procedures as out lined by management.
- Enforce Compliance to work order attachments and documents such as JSA’s, Work Procedure’s, SWI’s, etc.
- Ensure compliance with Safety and Environmental Management systems, policies and procedures along with ensuring that all risks have been identified, managed and safe working environment is maintained.
- Enforce good housekeeping practices are maintained by enforcing cleaning up before, during and after every task and not leaving any hazards within the work place.
- Have the ability to plan for tasks; arrange the correct equipment needed to minimize unnecessary delays in planned tasks.
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned.
Job Specific Competencies:
- Ability to show initiative and have good interpersonal skills.
- Capability of making timely, rational decisions with professional approach.
- Ability to meet deadlines as per task being given by the supervisor.
- Ability to recognize root cause of the damaged pulley lagging and rubber works found on routine inspections and report correctly.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills.
- Ability to work as a team able to reach or exceed maintenance, operational and safety goals.
- A trained and competent with wear cut chemical application.
- Ability to operate a folk lift, truck and the workshop overhead crane.
- Able to recognize different lagging, rubbers and the correct chemicals along with their lining methods.
- Ability to measure and cut pulley lagging and rubber for different shape items (square to round transition pieces, cones, pipes, sump boxes, impact discharge chutes and pulleys).
- Ability to inspect and determine correct preparation of all substrates prior to lining.
- Able to bond to different materials (cement, steel, ceramic wear resistance and rubber).
Key Job Attributes:
- Capability of making timely, rational decisions.
- Sound analytical and problem solving skills.
- Well-developed interpersonal, written and oral communication skills in English.
- Honesty and integrity.
- Highly motivated & driven.
- Methodological and organized.
- Capable of working under pressure.
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment.
Experience required to perform in this job
- 1 – 2 years’ experience in a maintenance role covering rubber & ceramic lining as well as belt splicing.
- At least 1 year and above in a sand blasting, ceramic lining and rubber lining role will be recognized.
- 2 – 3 Years’ experience in high output workshops with a high aptitude in the rubber lining & pulley lagging initiatives required of today’s mining industry.
- 2 – 3 Years’ experience in both pulley lagging and rubber lining repairs.
- 1 – 2 Years hands on skills and experience with large multi skill operations in ceramic, sandblasting, pulley lagging, belt splicing & rubber lining being
- undertaken simultaneously within tight time restrictions exposure would be an advantage.
- 2 – 3 Years previous experience with chute and hopper relines in both ceramic & wear cut applications would be well regarded.
- Demonstrable experience with fixed plant maintenance will be an advantage.
- A minimum of appropriate certification with experience in rubber and ceramic lining in the fixed plant & workshop relining environments.
- A certified working in confined space
- A trained and competent to use of all rubber lining tools and consumables.
- A minimum of Zambian craft certificate or its equivalent. Higher education attainment will be an added advantage.
- Certification in rubber and ceramic lining.
To apply for this job please visit firstquantumcareers.com.