At First Quantum, we free the talent of our people by taking a very different approach which is underpinned by a very different, very definite culture – the “First Quantum Way”.
Working with us is not like working anywhere else, which is why we recruit people who will take a bolder, smarter approach to spot opportunities, solve problems and deliver results.
Our culture is all about encouraging you to think independently and to challenge convention to deliver the best result. That’s how we continue to achieve extraordinary things in extraordinary locations.
Overall Job Purpose:
Reporting to the Manager Mine Technical, the purpose of this role is to ensure timely delivery of mine planning processes to meet the corporate strategic goals and to execute the short to medium term Mine Plan. The focus of this role is to optimise the short term planning functions for load and haul, drill and blast and short to medium term mining projects.
The Chief Mining Engineer will be required to develop his team through supervision, training, mentoring and coaching.
The role requires the incumbent to assist in ensuring all statutory requirements are met as per the Mining Regulation 207 .
Specific Job Responsibility:
- Ensuring the mine planning department provides mine planning and scheduling services to meet mining department plans and budgets.
- Manage all mine planning and scheduling processes onsite.
- Provide specialist mine planning support to the Manager Mine Technical.
- Ensure that pit designs are practical, economical and address all relevant standards.
- Providing leadership in ensuring all work supports safe operation and that all staff actively participates in promoting a positive safety culture.
- Establishing suitable processes for the identification of strategic and tactical operating options.
- Ensure your team understands the work plan and priorities, and that they have the skills and knowledge necessary to provide the required level of planning for the operation.
- Providing guidance to the team when managing various technical aspects across the operation.
- Define and optimise mine planning scenarios to maximise business opportunities.
- Effective and timely collaboration and communication with Operations and Mine Planning teams.
Job Specific Competencies:
- Ability to reflect on what is occurring to identify trends and diagnose emerging problems, proactively initiating actions to prevent or overcome problems identified
- Ability to manage a technical department and liaise with peers in other sections
- Forward planning; time management; commitment to timeframes; attention to detail; planning and organising; influencing and collaborating, planning, organising and budgeting; driven for results; commercial and contractual acumen; commitment to health and safety protocols
- A thorough understanding and awareness of Health, Safety and other relevant mining legislation.
- Experience in mining operational management. Project management skills.
- In-depth understanding of the mine planning and scheduling process, especially in open-pit brown fields projects.
- Proved track record of managing diverse teams
- Proven track record of cross functional cooperation
- Extensive experience with mining related software: SURPAC ; Deswik; TALPAC or equivalent .
- Open Pit and Underground Mine design.
- Strong technical and communication skills.
- Haul road and Dump design.
- Mine dewatering and storm water management.
- Construction or Mining related infrastructure.
Key Job Attributes:
- Must be able to work with minimum Supervision.
- Highly developed communication skills
- Proven track record in all aspects of open pit mining operations
Experience Required to Perform in This Job:
- 15 years’ progressive relevant experience (preferably open-pit mining) including 5 years as a Mine Planner.
- Have an in-depth understanding of mining and mine planning processes especially open-pit mining.
- BSc/BEng Mining Engineering.
- Relevant Masters will be an added advantage