Cities and Infrastructure for Growth Zambia (CIGZambia)
Cities and Infrastructure for Growth Zambia
Position: Municipal Finance Expert
Location: Home-Based, with potential travel
Planned Start Date: September 15th, 2020
Contract Duration: 24 days (September 2020 to January 2021)
About Cities and Infrastructure for Growth Zambia (CIGZambia)
CIGZambia is a facility that provides high-quality independent technical advice and assistance to Zambian government bodies and private sector organisations engaged in projects / programmes that help harness the potential of Zambia’s cities and towns to act as drivers for economic growth and job creation. CIGZambia is funded by the UK’s Department for International Development (DFID).
The overall programme objectives are:
- increasing urban productivity;
- improving inclusive access to urban economic infrastructure services;
- increasing investment into urban economic infrastructure services; and,
- enhancing national and regional integration between cities.
About the Role
CIGZambia is working with the Chipata City Council and the Town Councils of Chipangali and Kasenengwa to prepare the Chipata Joint Integrated Development Plan (JIDP). This process involves stakeholder consultations (community and institutional) that aim to identify and advance the design and funding of priority urban infrastructure and urban economic development projects to support job creation and climate-resilient economic development in Chipata and the surrounding districts.
CIGZambia is recruiting a Municipal Finance Expert to assist our Client to develop the JIDP in identifying and assessing revenue collection and financing options for the JIDP. Working with the appropriate staff of Councils, JIDP Committee (and appointed thematic task teams), the Municipal Finance Expert will review performance and assist the Councils to develop municipal financial plans and a capital investment programme for the implementation of the Chipata JIDP. The role will also involve financial management capacity strengthening of counterparts from the JIDP participating municipalities.
The successful candidate will be responsible for:
- Provision of expert advice to the Chipata JIDP Committee and Project Lead to review Council and District revenues and assess Council Revenue Collection Efficiency.
- Reviewing budget performance, monitoring and identify Council Revenue Base Sources for the first five years of the IDP period.
- Providing factual and analytical background reports, collect data, and prepare/review reports related to local service delivery and local governance.
- Preparing a Financial Plan and Capital Investment Plan and fully costed IDP Implementation Programme.
- Facilitating the development of a Municipal Resource Generation and Mobilisation Strategy for Joint IDP Implementation and Local Area Operational Plans.
- Conducting capacity building and training of relevant Council departments for revenue.
- Bachelor’s Degree (Master’s Degree preferred) in Public Finance, Economics, Accountancy, or a related field.
- At least 10 years’ work experience in Local Government and/or municipal financial management.
- Must have a good understanding of the Zambian Local Government Administrative System’s operation, strengthening, revenue generation, fiscality and transparency in Zambia.
- Demonstrated experience in providing technical assistance, capacity building, mentorship, change management, and training in Public Finance Management Systems and Processes, both at the national and sub-national levels.
- Previous experience supporting government revenue generation and expenditure systems.
- Deep contextual understanding of municipal governance in Zambia.
- Able to establish professional relationships with municipal officials working in the local governance sector.
- Strong written communication in English and demonstrated ability to prepare high-quality reports for clients.
- Member of Zambia Institute of Chartered Accountants.
Note on COVID-19:
Due to COVID-19 situation, interviews will be conducted remotely. Timing of start/end of the project are subject to change. Primary inputs for this position are home-based. Any potential travel would require physical distancing and other prevention measures and is subject to review.
Please send your CV to [email protected] For CV to be considered, subject line in email must be completed as follows: Municipal Finance Expert– Candidate Last Name, First Name
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
Deadline for Applications: August 31st, 2020