The World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF) is an International Non Governmental Organization that deals with conservation of nature. Our mission is to stop the degradation of the planet’s natural environment and to build a future in which humans live in harmony with nature. We are looking for a dynamic, enthusiastic and highly qualified Communications Manager to contribute to establishing and managing WWF’s integrated communications, marketing and fundraising development in support of all WWF programmes in Africa and ensure that WWF is strategic, coherent, and compelling in its engagement of supporters, conservation partners and all key audiences.
Location: Lusaka, Zambia
- To lead the design, implementation and monitoring of the WWF Zambia’s new communication strategy supporting WWF’s national, regional and international conservation priorities.
- Deliver communication targets for the roadmap for WWF Zambia to organisational transition from a country office to a national office by 2022.
- Lead and coordinate the development, delivery and monitoring of targeted creative and strategic media and digital plans highlighting WWF Zambia’s conservation priorities.
- Lead the identifying and maintenance of key relationships with media institutions and expand opportunities for earned media.
- Lead conservation teams on annual planning, monitoring and evaluation of communication activities and impacts.
- Analysis, interpretation, production and communication of complex information to multiple audiences.
- Management of internal relationships at country, regional and global levels.
- Serve in an advisory role, including to senior management, on communications and brand issues.
- Messaging and Innovation – Develop effective audience tailored message and find innovative ways to build and expand WWF Zambia audiences.
- Directing and managing staff, interns and vendors to deliver communication impact for WWF Zambia.
- Ensure that effective and strategic communication compliments and strongly supports resource mobilization efforts.
- To ensure that the WWF Zambia Country Office produces timely, relevant and quality communication products that support conservation.
- Demonstrate a good understanding of conservation and environmental issues and the use of Communication for campaigning.
- Expert knowledge of traditional and new media to manage the delivery of messages to both internal and external audiences.
- Ability to quickly assess the reputational risks and advising on opportunities for communication impact.
- University degree in Business Management; Communications, Public Relations, Media Relations, or other related fields.
- Proven track record, and at least 8 years of experience (preferably in Zambia, in communications or PR).
- Understanding of the institutional and legal framework in Zambia, as it relates to fundraising, PR, media, communication issues.
- Experience of creating and implementing a fundraising strategy for new markets.
- Proven track record of generating significant gifts, preferably in the context of an international organisation.
- Experience and expertise in developing relationships with institutional donors, high net worth individuals or corporations.
- A good understanding of the realities of PR and communications for promoting conservation issues;
- Excellent IT and multi-media skills.
- An understanding of and vocational interest in, environmental conservation, international development, not-for-profit sector and other related fields would be preferred.
- Excellent English and with knowledge of other local languages an added asset.
Required Skills and Competencies
- Passionate about biodiversity conservation.
- Strong interpersonal and communicating skills in a multicultural environment.
- Strong diplomatic skills with sensitivity to political and cultural issues.
- High ethical standards of behaviour, good judgment, respect for others, confidentiality and attention to detail.
- Target oriented but willing to learn.
- Excellent organisational, analytical and research skills.
- Excellent writing and oral presentation skills in English and other required language(s).
- Demonstrable numerical and budgetary skills.
- Thoroughness and attention to detail and strong analytical skills.
- Energetic, proactive and capable of working independently as well as being an active member of the team.
- Flexible and creative with an aptitude for solving problems, positive attitude.
- Proactive and agile, ability to think flexibly and creatively while driving change and high performance.
- Decisive, proactive, collaborative and an excellent communicator.
- Passion and commitment for conservation and sustainable development.
- Adherence to WWF’s values, which are: Passionate & Optimistic, Challenging & Inspiring, Credible & Accountable, Persevering & Delivering Results.
- Exemplification of WWF’s key behaviors: Strive for Impact, Listen Deeply, Collaborate Openly, and Innovate Fearlessly.
How to apply?
Applications must include cover letter and CV with contact details of three referees and should be addressed to People & Culture Manager – Africa through [email protected] by Friday 22nd February 2019 at 5.00pm Lusaka Time.
Please ensure that you mention www.gozambiajobs.com as the source of this job advertisement.
WWF is an equal opportunity employer and committed to having a diverse workforce.