Plan International is an independent development and humanitarian non-governmental organization that advances children’s rights and equality for girls.
We believe in the power and potential of every child. But this is often suppressed by poverty, violence, exclusion and discrimination. And it is girls who are most affected. Working together with children, young people, our supporters and partners, we strive for a just world, tackling the root causes of the challenges facing girls and all vulnerable children.
We have been building powerful partnerships for children for 80 years, and are now active in more than 70 countries. Safeguarding children and young people is key in all that we do.
Working in Zambia since 1996, Plan International Zambia’s development and capacity building programmes focus primarily on Education, Health, Water and Sanitation, Economic Security and Youth Empowerment, including Child Protection and Participation. Plan International Zambia has Programme Areas in; Central, Luapula, and Eastern Provinces including in Lusaka, where the Country Office is located.
Plan International Zambia is looking for experienced, innovative, motivated and self-starter individuals to fill the following positions:
COMMUNICATIONS SPECIALIST (X1) – LUSAKA – 2 YEARS CONTRACT
The Communications Specialist will coordinate communication processes in line with the Country Strategy and the Communications Strategy to ensure high brand visibility and positioning of Plan International Zambia as a girl go to Organisation. The role will communicate the purpose, mission, and activities of Plan International Zambia to key stakeholders (internally and externally) including partners, donors, sponsors and government through employing relevant communication channels.
The incumbent will be reporting to the Head of Programs with a dotted line to the Country Director.
Programme communication strategy, plan and implementation for social mobilization
- Support the development of sound country level strategies and plans which efficiently profile the importance of Plan’s programme, gender transformation and influencing priorities.
- Makes viable recommendations on operational strategies in the areas of participatory communication, social mobilization and on appropriate materials and media to reach target audiences.
- Support the M&E team in ensuring Knowledge Management and Documentation.
- Develop risk management matrix for children in contact with the media so as to ensure Safeguarding of Children and Young People.
- Ensures project and office visibility material are in line with Plan International branding policy.
- Implement the National Media Strategy aligned to Country Strategy and to the Global Strategy, to deliver high impact media coverage in national markets.
- Support media work on major humanitarian emergencies to manage media enquiries and link with relevant spokespersons as appropriate.
- Build and maintain strong linkages with media at national, regional and international levels, develop partnerships with media outlets and bloggers.
- Manage risk and brand reputation to ensure that media work benefits rather than harms Plan International’s strategic objectives and does not endanger staff, programmes, partners and the communities we work with
- Monitor and evaluate the impact of media projects at country level and provide regular strategic reporting and give recommendations
- Gather internal knowledge and transform it into exciting and useful messages, and disseminate it to the right audiences through identification of the most effective distribution channels.
- Produce high quality materials including information packs, opinion pieces, power point presentations, press releases, speeches and talking points, opinion pieces, news reactions, photos, blogs, annual reports, newsletters, video and multimedia content
- Provide opportunities for children to participate in media related programs to promote the rights of children.
- Support Program Areas in ensuring adherence to communication policies, protocols, standards and brand compliance.
- Implement guidelines and standards for producing communications content and ensure its being followed and ensures the material is properly signed off.
- Provide technical support and mentoring as well as on the job training to a network of communications focal points/staff in the country
- Provide support to spokes people on a range of humanitarian, development and campaigning issues while training more spokespeople in the country office
- Build capacities of country teams on capacity gaps related to media and communications
- Support stakeholder identification and mapping to feed into a comprehensive stakeholder engagement strategy.
- Work with country team, programme staff and partners to ensure production and availability of high quality communications products for a wide range of audiences including donors, partners, private sector, policy makers and the general public, at global, regional and country level.
- Manage Plan International’s internal communications for the country office, exploring new ways to get messages across using social media and online platforms.
- Create and manage content for Plan International’s Zambia website content and social media accounts.
- Generate content around high-priority Plan International issues and campaigns, edit and produce content that increases Plan International’s staff understanding of our purpose and values – internal newsletters, communiques, videos and talks.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Advanced university degree in Social Sciences with emphasis on strategic communication planning for social change, participatory communication, and research.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and the ability to communicate complicated and technical issues in a concise and clear way, to a wide range of target audiences.
- Demonstrated experience of the key responsibilities, including working with media, delivering communications strategies, managing internal communications, knowledge of digital media, and creating networks
- A track record of achieving results and strategic impact on communications and media and in building capacity for teams to deliver
- 5 years work experience in a similar role.
- Development communication experience is an added advantage.
- Must show demonstrable impact in using communications as a tool for social change.
- Familiarity with the social, political and economic context of the Zambian region, and its humanitarian and development issues.
- Demonstrated and considerable experience of working with international media, communications or public relations roles.
- Fluency in English
- Experience of working with international NGOs and understanding of a rights-based approach
- Excellent analytical and critical thinking skills, including ability to find, absorb, analyse and prioritise information from many different sources, and proven experience of strategy development.
- Ability to work under pressure, to tight deadlines, with competing priorities and minimal supervision.
- Ability to travel – sometimes at short notice and to humanitarian crisis areas.
- excellent inter-personal skills and ability to work in multi-national, multi-cultural teams, flexible and ability to adapt easily.
To apply, kindly send through your application letter, copies of qualifications and CV, indicating day time telephone and/or mobile contacts clearly stating the job title of interest to [email protected]. Kindly note that only candidates who meet the above specifications and competencies should apply. Applications should reach the undersigned not later than Thursday, 31th December, 2020, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
The Country Human Resource Manager
Plan International Zambia
Private Bag 518X
Plot 87A Kabulonga Road
Plan International provides equal employment opportunities to qualified and experienced women and men, Women are especially encouraged to apply. Early application is encouraged as we will review applications throughout the advertising period and reserve the right to close the advert early.