Website Conservation South Luangwa
Conservation South Luangwa
Job Description / TOR for Workshop Manager
An opportunity exists within Conservation South Luangwa (CSL), based in Mfuwe, Zambia for a well-organized, highly motivated and independent person to join the team as the Workshop Manager.
CSL has been in existence for 20 years and has built strong partnerships with the Department of National Parks and Wildlife (DNPW) in protected area management and counter-poaching initiatives across the Luangwa Valley. CSL practices a multi-faceted approach to wildlife resource management and protection, working in collaboration with DNPW and their respective Community Resource Boards (CRBs) to implement ‘frontline’ protection and counter trade/trafficking methods such as anti-poaching foot patrols, aerial surveillance and tracking, while engaging with their respective communities. CSL provides refresher training of law enforcement officers, equipment, uniforms, vehicles, fuel and maintenance, radio networks, IT and databases, infrastructure development, and wildlife crime detection and tracking canine units to support intelligence-led operations across the ecosystem. CSL established a Human-Wildlife Conflict (HWC) team in 2007, with community-based field officers. Their aim is to use participatory, strategic, and applied approaches towards HWC mitigation techniques which hold a high potential in decreasing damages by wildlife and to improve the relationship between local communities, wildlife managers and conservation agencies.
Position Title: Workshop Manager
Location: Mfuwe, adjacent to South Luangwa National Park, Zambia
Reports to: Law Enforcement Advisor / CEO
Purpose of the Job
CSL has and continues to invest significantly in the protected area management of the South Luangwa ecosystem. In recent years, the CSL fleet of vehicles has increased and we no longer have the capacity to manage and maintain these at a high levels. The Workshop Manager will oversee the technical, logistics, staff and systems improvements for all workshop related activities, including:
- Ensure efficient project activities through supporting transport and maintenance requirements of the fleet and machinery, including procurement of spares and fuels.
- Organize all labour efficiently and effectively and develop team leaders in their job.
- Help develop best performers towards supervisors and increased independence in job delivery.
- Support project administration including procurement, budget development, administration and supervision.
- Develop and refine comprehensive SOPs for the workshop.
The key responsibility of the Workshop Manager is to improve the overall efficiency, safety and effectiveness of project activities relating to the growing vehicle and boat fleet and workshop operations. You will be expected to initiate improved monitoring systems, enforce responsibilities, improve stock controls and management, and supervise a small workforce.
Fleet Management – currently 12 land cruisers, 4 admin cars, 6 motorbikes, 1 unimog and 2 boats.
- Manage a robust and high standard regular vehicle, boat and equipment maintenance schedule, with a focus on reduced repeat repairs.
- Supervise vehicle movements, vehicle maintenance and provision of vehicles to each department for timely and effective use.
- Oversee spares procurements, workshop stores management, stock control, and accountability and workshop health and safety standards.
- Establish and maintain supplier relationships.
- Manage accurately and report monthly on all fuel use, record keeping and procurements.
- Fleet/vehicle lifespan management (replacement and disposal plan)
- Manage 2 mechanics and support staff.
- Identify and mentor supervisor skills and abilities in work crews and general workers towards increased independence of Zambian national staff.
- Support comradery and team building amongst the workforce and support the understanding and achievement of project Mission and Goals.
- Create career paths and succession plans for all key positions.
- Develop, refine and roll out workshop Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
- Hands on development of workshop team and specialization training.
- Oversee vehicle and workshop stores, fuel and manage stock systems.
- Adhere to project / donor regulations and budgets independently.
- Provide information requested to the Fundraising and Communications Manager on donor / partner report writing.
- Maintain records and reports on all aspects of project activities.
Capabilities, competencies, and experience needed for the job
- Tertiary education in a field relevant to fleet management, logistics and infrastructure.
- Significant demonstrable experience with at least 6 years in mechanics and workshop supervision.
- Comprehensive computer literacy and highly proficient in Microsoft office.
- Clean and current drivers licence.
- Good leadership and people management skills.
- Strong personal integrity and dependability.
- Good report writing skills or willingness to learn.
Terms & benefits
A competitive salary with benefits on an annual contract basis will be negotiated. Housing will be provided in Mfuwe or a housing allowance will be provided.
Please send a cover letter and your earliest possible starting date and a CV in PDF format to [email protected] Ensure the subject line in your email application states “CSL Workshop Manager Application”.
Applications close August Dec 15th 2022
Please address your cover letter to:
The CEO CSL
Po Box 3, Mfuwe
The cover letter will be used to judge the quality of your application and should answer the following questions:
1. What interests you most to apply for this position?
2. What is the most important technical ability you will bring to the role?
3. Describe how you envision being able to improve the long term ability of partner staff.
4. What is your most important personal characteristic that you will bring to CSL in this role?
5. At least 2 traceable references with a short description of your working relationship, and their contact details.
Please note only candidates who meet all of the above criteria will be contacted for further reviews. Unfortunately we will not be able to reply to those who do not.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com