Job Number: 507705
Locations: Africa: Zambia
Work Type : Consultancy
If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world’s leading children’s rights organization would like to hear from you.
For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children’s survival, protection and development. The world’s largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
Purpose of the Assignment
The overall objective of the assignment is to provide technical support to the most relevant sub-committee under the DDCC to ensure its effective functioning and strengthening and to position it as the focal point for ending child marriage at district level and support the process of developing and monitoring of an action plan to address the drivers of child marriage and its implementation.
Under the guidance of the UNICEF Child Protection Specialist (Child and Family Welfare Systems Strengthening), the National Early Child Marriage Planning consultant will perform the following tasks:
- Identify a line ministry focal person to support on a day to day basis and provide mentoring support to build their capacity in the development, adjustment and monitoring of a multi-sectoral action plan to address the drivers of child marriage.
- Working closely with the focal person, Office of the District Commissioner and the Council Secretary, identify the most relevant sub-committee to position as the focal committee for Ending Child Marriage.
- Working with the line ministry focal person, support the effective functioning and strengthening of the identified sub-committee under the DDCC.
- Support conducting of the baseline scoping exercise in the district and community consultations.
- Support the strengthening of the community consultation process to ensure all stakeholders engage with each other on development issues.
- Support the process of contextualizing the Theory of Change taking into consideration the community consultations.
- Based on the district specific Theory of Change, technically support the ECM committee to coordinate the development of a district action plan to address the drivers of child marriage based on existing sector workplans and community needs and priorities.
- Support the ECM committee to coordinate joint monitoring of the implementation of the action plan to make adjustments to the action plan to address gaps and challenges identified.
- Technically support individual line ministries implementing the action plan to advocate upwards for increased resources and the implementation of specific interventions identified within the action plan.
- Support the implementation of C4D activities in line with the National Communications and Advocacy Strategy.
The National Early Child Marriage Planning consultant will be expected to deliver the following tasks as required at a specific period:
- Effective functioning and strengthening of the identified DDCC sub-committee to position itself into the ECM focal committee;
- Support conducting of the baseline scoping exercise;
- Contextualization of the ToC in consultation with key stakeholders including communities;
- Through the ECM committee support development of an action plan in line with the ToC and taking into consideration community consultations;
- Support ECM coordination body to develop monitoring plan;
- Provide technical support to upstream advocacy efforts by line ministries.
- Fees will be paid on a monthly basis upon submission of a monthly report and invoice. The monthly report will show evidence of progress towards the deliverables.
- Fees will be paid in Zambian Kwacha.
- UNICEF holds the right to withhold payments if deliverables are not met or not to expected quality standards.
- The consultant will be required to sign the necessary health statements for consultant/individual contractors prior to taking up the assignments and to document that they have appropriate health insurance.
Qualifications of Successful Candidate
- Advanced University Degree in Development Studies, public health and/or other related social science field.
Years of relevant experience
- At least 5 years working experience in development programming and project management
- Strong technical background in the areas of planning, coordination, monitoring and project management
- Experience working in planning and coordination at sub-national level
- Proven understanding of the local development context as it relates to the rights of women and adolescent girls
- Working experience with a donor and/or international organization
- Good listener
- Good written and communication skills
- Good computer knowledge
- Fluency in written and spoken English is essential
- Fluency in the language of district essential
- Advocacy/advancing a policy oriented agenda. Creates effective evidence-based advocacy messages and strategies using opportunities to bring forward and disseminate advocacy work. Performs analysis of economic and political situations and scenarios and contributes to the formulation of institutional responses
- Results-based programme development and management. Achieves results by effectively monitoring, evaluating programmes and projects and managing the projects’ human, financial and information resources. Seeks out best practices and innovative approaches and applies them to programme/project development and implementation.
- Innovation and marketing of new approaches. Seeks a broad range of perspectives in developing project proposals using documented successes and lessons learned in the design of innovative approaches. Identifies new approaches that are replicable, generalizable and promotes their use in other situations.
Competencies of Successful Candidate
To view our competency framework, please click here.
Please indicate your ability, availability and daily/monthly rate (in ZMW) to undertake the terms of reference above (including travel and daily subsistence allowance, if applicable). Applications submitted without a daily/monthly rate will not be considered.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organization.
Closing Date Thu Oct 12 2017 21:55:00 GMT+0100 (GMT Daylight Time)
To apply for this job please visit the following URL: https://www.unicef.org/about/employ/?job=507705 →