Overall Job Purpose
The Contracts Officer will perform day to day processing of service orders and contract requests. The Contracts officer will assist the Contracts Superintendent with any tasks as and when required.
Specific Job Responsibility
The Contracts Officer will:
- Process all labour/ equipment and construction requests
- Co-ordinate shut down labour and plant hire with planners
- Work with planners on a daily basis in obtaining competitive pricing from suppliers
- Work with technical personnel to prepare tenders
- Check and confirm all plant and labour time sheets/ machine hours
- Respond to supplier and end user enquiries regarding plant and labour hire
- Float tenders and perform tender adjudication
- Maintain physical and electronic contract archives
- Run cost reduction exercises on contracted plant and labour
- Ensure contractors are compliant with statutory requirements
- Perform any other task as directed by the Contracts Superintendent or Commercial Manager
Job Specific Competencies
- Must be able to work under pressure dealing with multiple tasks at once
- Must have a good working knowledge of procurement and supply chain management
- Technical experience with metal fabrication, construction and equipment maintenance is advantageous.
- Must be able to keep up to date with statutory compliance requirements; a good knowledge of relevant legislation is key.
- Must be able to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
- Must have a good knowledge of Microsoft Office and ability to navigate an accounting package or enterprise resource planning software.
- Must have a good understanding of Microsoft Excel.
Key Job Attributes
The Contracts Officer will need to be a hard worker and quick thinker who can find a solution to all challenges faced by the department. The contracts officer must have the highest level of integrity to ensure all dealings with contractors are done in a fair and transparent manner. Attributes:
- Interpersonal skills / Communication
- Team player
- Action Oriented
- Work with minimal supervision
- Honesty / Integrity
- Problem Solving
- Creative thinker
Experience required to perform in this job
Minimum of 4 years’ experience in a similar industry / environment, covering the areas of:
- Some experience in construction, metal fabrication or equipment repair
- Bachelors in a business related course or technical related field with 4 years’ experience
- or a diploma in a business related field or technical field with 5 years working experience.
- Zambian Institute of Purchasing and Supply Member, advantageous.