Cost Control Officer
Lumwana Mine, Solwezi, Zambia.
Reporting to: Business Systems Coordinator
Lumwana Mining Company Limited (LMC), a copper mining company owned by Barrick Gold Corporation is situated in the North Western region of Zambia, some 300 km west of the Zambian Copperbelt and 95 km south west of the provincial capital of Solwezi. The mine is a multi-pit, multi staged operation mining approximately 100MT of ore and waste per annum and producing copper concentrates containing an average of 120,000 tonnes of copper metal per year over a twenty (20) year mine life, making Lumwana the largest single open cut copper mine in Africa. The Company is now looking for an experienced and qualified individual to be considered for the position of Cost Control Officer.
Reporting to the Business Systems Coordinator, you will be responsible for coordinating and monitoring cost controls and liaising with the Maintenance Superintendents regarding their respective expenditure. Your duties will include but not limited to the following:
- Responsible for developing a tracking method to track all expenditure for Maintenance.
- Create a detailed budget that accounts for estimated expenditure.
- Responsible for variance analysis and feed back to Business Systems Supervisor immediately.
- Keep a record of all expenditure and enforce the agreed budget and does not approve excess expenditure.
- The cost controller must track current spending in relation to agreed budget.
- Conduct purchase order and work order auditing.
- Responsible for archiving all relevant documents.
- Assist in preparing maintenance budget.
- Assist Superintendent in cost control.
- Assist the Management – in a support role with regards the management of planned maintenance and scheduling of services.
- Work with the coordinator and supervisor to achieve production and cost targets in conjunction with the daily, weekly and monthly mining plans that correspond with the annual production target
- Review and improve systems based on the monitoring, reporting and improvement ideas of direct reports and teams.
- Review capital requirements prepared by direct reports and submit for approval.
- Review functional expenditure on a monthly basis and ensure all variances to budget are investigated and explained.
- Identify specific areas for cost improvement and ensure the development and implementation of action plans to achieve these gains.
- Coordinate compilation of the annual functional budget.
- Review and monitor all safety, service level and financial performance indicators for the function and initiate corrective action where necessary.
- Deliver reports to the Department Manager on agreed performance indicators and to agreed standards and schedule.
Experience & Qualifications
- Degree / Diploma in Commerce, Finance or Accounting.
- Minimum experience (2 years) in mining environment preferably with mobile and fixed plant.
- Able to clearly demonstrate the aptitude to drive a light vehicle and hold a current Zambian driver’s licence or be able to obtain one.
- Be physically fit and be able to pass a pre-employment medical examination.
Nationals who meet requirements for this position and are resident in Zambia are strongly encouraged to apply
Applicants may be subjected to any of the following: A Security and / or Police Clearance Check; a Competence Assessment, Qualifications, Credit and Reference Checks.