Website DAI Global LLC
Shaping a More Livable World
USAID SCALING UP NUTRITION TECHNICAL ASSISTANCE (SUN TA)
DAI works at the cutting edge of international development, combining technical excellence, professional project management, and exceptional customer service to solve our clients’ most complex problems. Since 1970, DAI has worked in 150 developing and transition countries, providing comprehensive development solutions in areas including crisis mitigation and stability operations, democratic governance and public sector management, agriculture and agribusiness, private sector development and financial services, economics and trade, health and nutrition, HIV/AIDS, avian influenza control, water and sanitation, natural resources management, and energy and climate change. Clients include international development agencies, international lending institutions, private corporations and philanthropies, and host-country governments.
1. Project Background:
The Scaling Up Nutrition Program is a cross-ministry and multi-donor program to reduce stunting in Zambia through implementation of the Government of the Republic of Zambia (GRZ) 1,000 Most Critical Days Program.
SUN TA provides support and direct technical assistance to sub-national local government departments in target districts to plan, implement, coordinate, and monitor integrated nutrition-sensitive and nutrition-specific activities to reduce the rate of stunting among Zambian children under two and improve the nutritional status of pregnant and lactating mothers. USAID has identified two main objectives that address stunting, including (1) Adequate Quantity and Quality of Dietary Intake among Target Groups; and (2) Adequate Health Conditions for Biological Utilization of Nutrients. SUN TA interventions increase access and availability of safe, diverse, nutritious food; adoption of better child feeding and household hygiene practices; and access to improved health, water and sanitation services. The project prioritizes sustainability by improving intra-household joint decision making and building the capacity of local government and their stakeholders to ensure coordination, accountability, and learning, following the Scaling Up Nutrition model.
2. Location: Lusaka, Zambia, with frequent in-country travel
The WASH Expert will be responsible for the overall strategy development and implementation of WASH activities and will provide technical support to achieve expected results. S/he will provide cross-cutting, strategic, and program implementation direction and management to promote demand for key SUN interventions at community and household level, while supporting sub-national government counterparts in meeting generated demand. The Expert will work closely with the Nutrition/Child Health Expert and the Agriculture and Livelihood Expert to ensure a comprehensive integrated approach to meet the program objectives of reducing stunting. The Expert is also expected to work closely with the monitoring and evaluation team to ensure progress is being achieved towards program targets. S/he will establish and maintain close and effective liaison with relevant ministry and government officials, partners, and country stakeholders to facilitate flow of information concerning research, policies, and programs and to stay abreast of current trends.
4. Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Serve as a key member of the senior leadership team in guiding the effective activity implementation and achievement of WASH objectives in complement to other technical areas and to achieve the overall project goals and objectives.
- Provide technical leadership, oversight, and capacity development for WASH components of the project, ensuring linkages and coordination with other project components.
- Work with national and provincial (20% focus) and district and ward-level counterparts (80% focus) to develop District SUN work plans, coordinating with M&E team on indicators and target development.
- Provide TA to national and provincial (20% focus) and district and ward-level counterparts (80% focus) to support work plan implementation related to improved WASH service delivery, including improving financing for water supply and water point maintenance, HH water treatment, on-site sanitation, WASH services, CLTS/ODF, and improving hygiene behaviors.
- In partnership with other key staff, establish and maintain positive relationships with project co-implementers, including government ministries and departments, particularly the district level representatives of the Ministry of Water, Sanitation and Environment Protection, NGOs working in the area, and other key stakeholders such as the National Water Supply and Sanitation Council, Regional Water and Sewerage Companies, and GRZ water supply programs.
- Attend partner coordination meetings as appropriate. Ensure that activities are coordinated with relevant stakeholders and deliver an 80% focus on districts and their communities.
- Identify areas for additional TA from consultants and subcontractors.
- Coordinate with field teams to identify where Direct Implementation (DI) assistance is required and work with the Grants and DI Manager to formulate a request.
- In collaboration with the technical and MEL teams, participate in analyzing and disseminating evidence to promote WASH sector reforms that lead to improved nutrition outcomes at all levels.
- Other tasks as may be assigned by the Deputy Chief of Party for successful achievement of WASH objectives.
5. Reporting and Supervision:
The WASH Expert directly reports to the DCOP in activity implementation and management.
- A minimum of MSc/Master’s in Civil Engineering, Water Supply and Sanitation Engineering, Environmental Engineering, Water Resources Management, Public Health, or qualifications that demonstrate relevance to WASH project management;
- 7-10 years of progressive experience in providing technical expertise to government institutions at all levels and/or private sector partners in scaling improved WASH service models and approaches on programs of similar size and scope;
- 10-15 years of progressive experience with increasing responsibility focused on scaling improved water supply and sanitation service delivery models and approaches for sustained behavior change such as Community-Led Total Sanitation, peri urban and rural water supply including siting, drilling, construction and community management of boreholes for hand pump boreholes and water schemes;
- Demonstrated understanding and professional experience in nutrition-sensitive concepts and programming;
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to adapt communication styles to a range of audiences, including professional and community stakeholders;
- Proven ability to interpret scientific studies, operations research and cost-benefit analysis and apply lessons to reach objectives; this will include using relevant data for advocacy on integration of high-impact practices at all levels of implementation and in collaboration with other technical areas;
- Previous supervisory experience strongly preferred; and
- Fluency in written and spoken English is required.