USAID SCALING UP NUTRITION TECHNICAL ASSISTANCE (SUN TA)
1. Project Background:
The Scaling Up Nutrition Program is a cross-ministry and multi-donor program to reduce stunting in Zambia through implementation of the Government of the Republic of Zambia (GRZ) 1,000 Most Critical Days Program. SUN TA provides support and direct technical assistance to sub-national local government departments in target districts to plan, implement, coordinate, and monitor integrated nutrition-sensitive and nutrition-specific activities to reduce the rate of stunting among Zambian children under two and improve the nutritional status of pregnant and lactating mothers. USAID has identified two main objectives that address stunting, including (1) Adequate Quantity and Quality of Dietary Intake among Target Groups; and (2) Adequate Health Conditions for Biological Utilization of Nutrients. SUN TA interventions increase access and availability of safe, diverse, nutritious food; adoption of better child feeding and household hygiene practices; and access to improved health, water and sanitation services. The project prioritizes sustainability by improving intra-household joint decision making and building the capacity of local government and their stakeholders to ensure coordination, accountability, and learning, following the Scaling Up Nutrition model.
The Data Associate will be responsible for supporting the processes of data collection to ensure the accuracy and quality of data entry. He/she will transfer household target beneficiary data from paper household registration forms into the online database.
The Data Associate will work closely with the Provincial Monitoring and Evaluation Officer. The incumbent will maintain close-work relationships with district-based project staff to complete data quality checks. The Data Associate will participant in monitoring and evaluation field visits, document project success stories and carry-out preliminary data analysis as maybe assigned.
3. Place of Performance and Reporting:
The Data Associate will report directly to the District MEL Officer and will be supported by national level SUN TA Data Management Specialist:
The Data Associate will be based in Kaputa with frequent (more than 50% of time) travel throughout assigned district.
4. Responsibilities and Tasks:
- Support data collection from primary data sources to project data servers according to project-prescribed standards and will ensure that the correct data is being captured using the specified tools
- Provide on-site guidance to project volunteers and other community-based project staff in the correct use of data tools and report forms
- Work closely with the Health & Nutrition Technical Officer to facilitate the project beneficiary registration process during antenatal, under five clinic and community nutrition triggering
- Provide remote and on-site support to catchment and community structures in ensuring the operationalization and maintenance of the digital platform for data collection and reporting (dhis2)
- Monitor utilization of the project-supplied mobile phones and ensure optimal utilization in accordance with the user agreement
- Perform data entry for data not entered at catchment level and will sort and organize paperwork after entering data to ensure the original forms are retained for verification and reference purposes
- Assist in identifying gaps in data quality and will communicate any gaps with workable solutions
- Conduct random checks on data entry to confirm accuracy and quality of data.
- ·Generate monthly indicator dashboards (in the dhis2) to facilitate district decision making during program review meetings and beyond
- Other duties as assigned as assigned by supervisor.
5. Supervisory Responsibilities:
The Data Associate will not have any supervisory responsibilities.
6. Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Experience working with electronic databases with attention to detail
- Working knowledge of office equipment and computer hardware and peripheral devices
- Proven experience as data entry clerk, MEL Assistant, Strategic Information Officer
- Understanding of data quality and confidentiality principles is compulsory
- Fast typing skills: Knowledge of touch-typing system is strongly preferred
- Good command of English both oral and written
7. Key Result Areas:
- Collect constant data from credible sources
- Ensure collected data is verified
- Production of monthly statistical reports
- Ensure correct use of data tools for reporting
- Participation in joint community visits
- Collect quality and accurate from the community
- 90-100% reporting rates
8. Key Competencies for the Role
Ability to influence stakeholders
Written and verbal communication
Good interpersonal skills
Planning and monitoring