SCOPE OF WORK
USAID SCALING UP NUTRITION TECHNICAL ASSISTANCE (SUN TA)
COMPLIANCE MANAGER (Grade 10)
1. Project Background:
The Scaling Up Nutrition Program is a cross-ministry and multi-donor program to reduce stunting in Zambia through implementation of the Government of the Republic of Zambia (GRZ) 1,000 Most Critical Days Program.
SUN TA provides support and direct technical assistance to sub-national local government departments in target districts to plan, implement, coordinate, and monitor integrated nutrition-sensitive and nutrition-specific activities to reduce the rate of stunting among Zambian children under two and improve the nutritional status of pregnant and lactating mothers. USAID has identified two main objectives that address stunting, including (1) Adequate Quantity and Quality of Dietary Intake among Target Groups; and (2) Adequate Health Conditions for Biological Utilization of Nutrients. SUN TA interventions increase access and availability of safe, diverse, nutritious food; adoption of better child feeding and household hygiene practices; and access to improved health, water and sanitation services. The project prioritizes sustainability by improving intra-household joint decision making and building the capacity of local government and their stakeholders to ensure coordination, accountability, and learning, following the Scaling Up Nutrition model.
The Compliance Manager will objectively add value and improve DAI/SUNTA’s programming by bringing a systematic and disciplined approach to the effectiveness of risk management, control and governance processes. The successful candidate will possess a thorough knowledge of various operational procedures and a sound judgement and knowledge of USAID and DAI financial management, accounting principles & operational procedures. S/he will ensure transparent, audit-ready project operations. In addition, s/he will provide close review of the finance, human resources, procurement, programmatic and subcontracts efforts of the project to ensure these activities are carried out according to USAID regulations and DAI policies and procedures.
3. Place of Performance and Reporting: The Compliance Manager will be based in Lusaka, Zambia and will report to the Chief of Party.
4. Responsibilities and Key Tasks:
- Work with the Executive Leadership Team to develop a targeted, risk-based, and coherent annual compliance plan, disseminate the plan to the senior management team and core operations team managers and ensure strict adherence/implementation of the plan within stipulated timelines.
- Performs routine scheduled financial, contracts, grant management, operational and procurement compliance reviews in accordance with the organization’s internal audit and FOM procedures
- Conducts internal reviews of irregularities and allegations of misconduct, as assigned by the Chief of Party.
- Conduct compliance reviews related to SUN TA district activities.
- Prepares timely through and analytical compliance reports with corroborating evidence and recommendations on corrective actions and assist with relevant follow-up.
- Reviews and tests procedures and systems of internal controls at SUN TA to ensure they are functioning as planned and in accordance with sound managerial principles.
- Facilitates and monitors the implementation of corrective plans to aid SUN TA in improving compliance with procedures and processes.
- Provides guidance to executive leadership regarding best internal control practices that minimize risk to the organization; works cooperatively with SUN TA staff to explain and improve processes and enhance internal controls and compliance.
- Performs internal and external audit planning tasks including pre-audit information gathering and data analysis to develop risk-based audit scope and performs interviews and testing procedures and documents results per prescribed audit program and maintains audit data in the database.
- Conducts follow-up reviews of financial, grant management, operational, or regulatory compliance deficiencies noted during compliance reviews
- Applies detailed knowledge of applicable statutes, regulations, donor requirements, organization policies and practices.
- Other tasks as assigned by the Chief of Party
5. Supervisory Responsibilities:
The Compliance Manager supervises the Compliance Officer
6. Education and Experience:
- Master’s degree in accounting, finance, management, business administration or equivalent required
- Must have current Associate Membership of the Zambia Institute of Chartered Accountants (ZICA)
- At least 9 years of experience in overall audit or compliance;
- Fully experienced in conducting compliance reviews, internal investigations and audit, including strong interviewing skills
- Strong experience in fraud detection and anti-fraud training.
- Must have excellent analytical and organizational skills, with attention to detail.
- Able to apply advanced analytical skills in MS Excel and other applications to identify potential issues and trends.
- Demonstrated management and supervisory experience of a relevant scope and scale;
- Strong communication abilities
- Ability to work independently and the capacity to plan
- Strong report writing skills
7. Key Result Areas
- Ensuring adherence to DAI/SUN TA policy and procedures, USAID regulations, GAAP, Regulatory Standards, and Industrial best practice.
- Ensure SUN TA control environment is Sound, Transparent and Accountable.
- Reviews of all sectors (Programmes, Finance, Procurement, Operations, HR, IT) for adherence to ensure adherence to SUN TA is audit ready and minimizes risk.
- Ensure a systematic and disciplined approach to effective risk management through knowledge management and systems thinking.
- Conduct training staff in e.g. compliance and ethics
- Conduct regular reviews according to annual plan.
8. Key Competencies for the Role
INTELLECTUAL – Analytical, Accounting and audit skills
INTERPERSONAL – Team oriented
COMMUNICATION – Strong verbal and communication skills
TECHNICAL – Compliance
LEADERSHIP – Negotiation, coaching and mentorship