USAID SCALING UP NUTRITION TECHNICAL ASSISTANCE (SUN TA)
SOCIAL BEHAVIOUR CHANAGE SPECIALSIT (TEMPORARY)
DAI works at the cutting edge of international development, combining technical excellence, professional project management, and exceptional customer service to solve our clients’ most complex problems. Since 1970, DAI has worked in 150 developing and transition countries, providing comprehensive development solutions in areas including crisis mitigation and stability operations, democratic governance and public sector management, agriculture and agribusiness, private sector development and financial services, economics and trade, HIV/AIDS, avian influenza control, water and natural resources management, and energy and climate change. Clients include international development agencies, international lending institutions, private corporations and philanthropies, and host-country governments.
1. Project Background
The Scaling Up Nutrition Program is a cross-ministry and multi-donor program to reduce stunting in Zambia through implementation of the Government of the Republic of Zambia (GRZ)’s 1,000 Most Critical Days Program (MCDP II), which refers to the first 1000 days of a child’s life from conception to the second birthday. The Scaling Up Nutrition Technical Assistance (SUN TA) Project supports the Government and the National Food and Nutrition Commission (NFNC) to implement evidence-based and integrated interventions aimed at increasing access to and availability of safe, diverse, nutritious food; encourage the adoption of better child-feeding and household hygiene practices; and increase access and use of improved health, water and sanitation services. The Project prioritizes sustainability by improving both intra-household joint decision-making and capacity-building among local government and stakeholders including private sector to ensure coordination, accountability, social and behavior change, and learning replicating the Scaling Up Nutrition theory of change model.
2. Objectives of the assignment
The SUN TA Project is implementing its Social and Behavior Change (SBC) Strategy to improve the adoption and maintenance of healthy behaviors that will lead to a reduction in stunting among children under two. SUN TA’s SBC interventions target caregivers and their influencers to increase knowledge enhance motivators and reduce barriers that contribute to the problem of stunting in the project’s 13 districts.
The purpose of this assignment is to support the project’s SBC activities by overseeing the implementation of its SBC strategy. Working closely with the NFNC and line ministries,, the consultant will oversee the planning and coordination of the project’s SBC activities including the design, development, pre-testing , and distribution of SBC materials including radio content production (radio spots and jungles), public service announcements, and print materials among others. These materials should be closely aligned with the SUN TA SBC Strategy (to be shared) and other relevant background documentation and based on a context-specific understanding of the situation related to SBC in the areas of nutrition, health, safe water access, hygiene, nutrition-sensitive agriculture, livelihoods and women’s empowerment.
We are looking for an individual with experience in implementing integrated, multi-channel and high-impact interventions for development partners and Government using mid-level media interventions as well as key influencers and champions as advocates for the nutrition campaign and its messages.
Lusaka with frequent travels to the districts.
4. Duration: Six (6) months
5. Salary Grade: 9
- Review relevant project documents to understand the project design, SBC strategy and SBC activities
- Provide hands on technical assistance and SBC input into the implementation of WASH, Agriculture and Nutrition and Health activities
- Work with the NFNC and line Ministries to design, develop, pre-test, review and finalize SBC materials
- Spearhead the process of development and approval of SBC materials (radio dramas, spots, jingles, public service announcements, and community theatre performances)
- Work with SUN TA technical leads, NFNC, line ministries and other nutrition stakeholders to develop messages for specific themes for the program’s activities
- Participate in technical working group meetings with the NFNC and other meetings with NFNC-Nutrition Education and Communication Unit (NECU)
- Participate in review meetings with SUN TA, NFNC, relevant technical working groups and line ministries
- Work with SUN TA to ensure that all coordination and approvals are received from relevant government departments
- Conduct field visits to assess progress against the set targets and ensure compliance with technical approace
- Prepare and submit activity and quarterly reports according to project standards
- Support post M & E re-planning to ensure materials are adapted as required
- Degree/Diploma in Communication, Health/Social Science or Education
- Strong background applying behavioral science and SBC principles/theory to practice, preferably from a multi-disciplinary lens.
- Competent in social behavior change message development for a multi-sectoral nutrition project
- Demonstrated experience working with government ministries/institutions and USAID-funded projects
- Experience designing and executing multi-sectorial SBCC is essential.
- Experience planning and coordinating a multi-channel community level SBCC campaign
- Experience working with creative agencies, community theatre groups, media houses is highly desirable
- Good understanding of contextual issues that are contributing to the challenge of stunting in the project’s 13 districts.
8. Skills and expertise:
- The SBC Specialist is required to have experience in undertaking similar assignments as described and must have all the necessary experience and skills
- Effective communicator
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills and experience working in a multi-sectorial project
- Ability to be flexible within a fast-paced environment.
- Effective time management and organizational skills, as well as demonstrated initiative, creativity, and innovation.
9. Expected Deliverables
The SBC Specialist will be expected to deliver the assigned tasks in a timely manner as agreed at commissioning.
- Spearhead the implementation of the Happy Home Campaign including the selection, orientation and oversight of creative agencies, media houses, community radio and community theatre groups
- Plan and coordinate the design, development, pre-testing, review, and finalization of SBC materials
- Participate in technical working group meetings with the NFNC and line ministries
- Work with the project’s MEAL team to support monitoring, evaluation and learning of SBC activities
- Ensure all designed materials adhere to USAID accreditation guidelines to be supplied by SUN TA
- Quality reports submitted on time
10. Duration of assignment
The services will be required for 6 months
The SBC Specialist will be managed and supervised by SUN TA’s Deputy Chief of Party (DCOP) and supported by DAI Home office.