The Copperbelt University is a Public University established through an Act of Parliament No. 19 of 1987. The University’s core business is Teaching, Research and Consultancy as a service to the nation. The University is an equal opportunity employer and hereby invites applications from suitably qualified and experienced candidates for appointment to the following position:
DEAN OF STUDENTS
Under the general direction of the Vice Chancellor, the Dean of Students is responsible for policy development, administration, supervision of staff and students, budget development and oversight, and program planning and implementation for the Office of Dean of Students. The Dean of Students is responsible for the management and direction of Student Conduct and serves as advisor to the Students. The Dean of Students shall co-ordinate and direct students’ welfare services, participate in the formulation of student welfare policies, advise management on problems relating to policy, counselling and administration of the student affairs unit.
he Dean of Students serves as an advocate for students and the student voice in University decisions that directly affect students’ education and well-being.
- Advise the Vice-Chancellor on matters pertaining to student governance, performance and extracurricular activities;
- Participate in the formulation of policy as a member of the various boards and committees such as senate regulations and admission committee, examination, prizes scholarship committees, etc;
- Supervision of student discipline regarding adherence to University rules and regulations and their responsibilities;
- Manage administration of sports, recreational, social-cultural and extracurricular programmes for students;
- Provide individual or group counselling or advisory services relating to personal problems, educational and vocational objectives, social and recreational activities;
- Liaise with student union leadership and offers guidance on industrial relation matters in order to maintain harmony in the University.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s degree in Education, Psychology, Public Administration or other related Social Sciences; or better a PhD qualification.
- Mature and self driven, with high level of problem solving, Counselling and Guidance capabilities;
- Seven (7) years of experience in an educational institution, three (3) of which must be at a senior level;
- High interpersonal skills and a good communicator.
Required Skills and Attributes
- Strong communication skills and ability to motivate students;
- Ability to work a flexible schedule that includes evening, weekend, and “on call” assignments and ability to engage in emergency situations;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with faculty, staff, students, and external constituents;
- Competently working with young people especially in the areas of formation and discipline;
- Commitment to the character and personal formation of young people.
Candidates for each position should submit: detailed Curriculum Vitae with photocopies of credentials and other relevant documents plus names and addresses of Three (3) referees (Two of whom must be in candidate’s field of specialization) should be professionally acquainted with the applicant. Application should be sent to the undersigned no later than 28th February, 2019; Electronic applications to [email protected] and physical applications to:
P O Box 21692
Note that only short-listed candidates will be communicated to.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com