Position: Development Facilitator – Water Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) x2
Locations: Pemba and Namwala, Southern Province.
Position Reports to: Area Programme Manager
Purpose of the position: To facilitate and coordinate ALL water supply, sanitation and hygiene activities at the Area Programme (AP) level and support the AP in planning, organizing, implementing, monitoring and evaluating key WASH program that will lead to reduced prevalence of waterborne and water related diseases. To facilitate community engagement, community changes, build and maintain local partnerships, build community and partner organisation capacity, and strengthen community-led initiatives/innovations in Water, Sanitation and Hygiene Programme to improve and sustain well-being of children and families. The Development Facilitator will also communicate World Vision’s Christian ethos and demonstrate a quality of spiritual life that is an example to others.
- Lead and ensure there is measurable integration of WASH activities in all the Sectors of the
- Strategy in line with the WASH specific “How To” document of the Strategy.
- Manage the proper documentation and security (both manual and electronic) of key AP WASH documents and timely development and submission of programme progress monthly, quarterly, semi-annual and annual reports.
- Plan, organize and ensure that the AP WASH Detailed Implementation Plans (including sponsorship and special projects) are timely implemented and budget spent according to the project operation plan.
- Plan, organize and coordinate programmes for water supply at the AP level including construction of new and rehabilitated water supply systems such as boreholes, piped spring systems, rain-water harvesting and water treatment.
- Coordinate the process of obtaining AP baseline data for water resources, water supply, sanitation and hygiene indicators to support project monitoring and evaluation.
- Facilitate AP level activities leading to improved livelihoods of communities through construction of small-scale irrigation systems and relevant animal husbandry.
- Facilitate interventions at AP level aimed at reducing the prevalence of waterborne and water related diseases through the promotion of improved sanitation facilities, personal hygiene and environmental practices, among communities and school children.
- Coordinate programmes aimed at improving community capacity to manage facilities and establishing an effective framework for sustainable water and sanitation development to improve community living conditions.
- Facilitate the multiple uses of WASH approaches in APs such as Community Led Total Sanitation (CLTS), PHAST, and PHHE.
- Organise WASH related stakeholders meetings, workshop and trainings of beneficiaries and project implementers in the district
The role holder will have direct contact with children/or young people and adult beneficiaries either frequently (e.g. once a week or more) or intensively, because they will be working in the Area Programme. Therefore, the jobholder is expected to maintain high levels of Safeguarding to the beneficiaries.
Qualifications/Education/Knowledge/Technical Skills and Experience
- Diploma in Environmental Health, Clinical or Public Health, Water Engineering, Environmental Sciences or Social Sciences.
- Postgraduate in WASH related program is an added advantage
- At least three year’s hands on experience in working with rural or peri-urban public health programs, preferably related to community based rural development work.
- Demonstrated experience in the field of Water, Sanitation and Hygiene Education and multiple uses of water.
- Knowledge and understanding of World Vision operations would be an added advantage
- Experience in conducting trainings, preparation of trainings materials, work plans, work flows, reports and impact stories;
- Experience in preparing and monitoring budgets expenditure
- Experience in conduction and facilitating trainings
- Good community participatory skills.
- Training or experience in conducting rapid rural appraisals.
- Experience in networking is necessary.
- Experience in using Microsoft Office (Word, Access, Excel and PowerPoint.)
- Excellent skills in report writing.
- Excellent communication and human relations skills.
Must be a committed Christian and inspire others, able to stand above denominational diversities and participate/lead in daily devotions and weekly Chapel services.
Perform other duties as required.
Working Environment / Conditions:
Work environment: Office-based 20% : field 80%
Travel: international as required.
“World Vision Zambia is committed to the protection of children and adult beneficiaries from all forms of abuse and sexual exploitation. All employment is conditional upon the successful completion of all applicable background checks, including criminal record checks”.
Women are strongly encouraged to apply; ONLY shortlisted candidates will be contacted.