Under the guidance and supervision of the Operations Manager, the driver provides reliable and safe driving services to the UN Resident Coordinator or the UNDP Resident Representative, and other high-ranking UN officials and VIP visitors ensuring highest standards of discretion and integrity, sense of responsibility, excellent knowledge of protocol and security issues. The driver also demonstrates a client-oriented approach, courtesy, tact and ability to work with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
Upon request of the supervisor, the driver can also be required to provide driving services to the operations and programme staff in the country office, consultants and experts and other UN staff on mission.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions:
- Provision of reliable and secure driving services
- Proper use of vehicles
- Day-to-day maintenance of the assigned vehicle
- Availability of documents/supplies
1. Ensures provision of reliable and safe driving services by a) driving office vehicles for the transport of the UN Resident Coordinator or UNDP Resident Representative, other high-ranking officials and visitors and delivery and collection of mail, documents and other items, and b) meetings official personnel and visitors at the airport including visa and customs formalities arrangement when required.
2. Ensures cost-saving through proper use of vehicle through accurate maintenance of daily logs, provision of inputs to preparation of the vehicle maintenance plans and reports.
3. Ensures proper day-to-day maintenance of the assigned vehicle through timely minor repairs, arrangements for major repairs, timely changes of oil, check tires, brakes, car washing, etc.
4. Ensures availability of all the required documents/supplies including vehicle insurance, vehicle logs, office directory, map of the city/country, first aid kit, necessary spare parts in the assigned vehicle.
5. Ensures that all immediate actions required by rules and regulations are taken in case of involvement in accidents.
6. Performs other duties as required.
Required Skills and Experience
Minimum Full Grade 12 Certificate with passes in English and Mathematics.
A certificate in Automotive Mechanics and Basic First Aid is an added advantage.
Valid SADC driver’s license is required.
A minimum of 5 years work experience as a driver. Previous experience working with a UN agency is an added advantage.
Knowledge of basic driving rules and regulations and the Zambia Highway Code is required.
Demonstrable skills in carrying out minor vehicle repairs are necessary. Prior experience working as a driver/clerk in an international, national or NGO office is required.
Work experience with the UN or other international institutions with stringent accountability rules would be an asset.
Must have a good command of written and spoken English. Knowledge of the local language(s) of the duty station will be a functional advantage.
Defensive driving skills are an advantage.
Important applicant information
All posts in the GS categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.