Procurement of Short-Term Consultancy Services
Edit Reading Materials for Early Childhood Education Learners
Education Development Center (EDC) is a global non-profit that advances lasting solutions to improve education, promote health, and expand economic opportunity, with a focus on vulnerable and under-served populations.
United States Agency for International Development (USAID) has selected EDC to implement the USAID Let’s Read Project, a 5-year, $48.9 million project in the five target provinces of Eastern, Muchinga, Southern, North-western and Western Zambia that works to improve reading outcomes for approximately 1.4 million children attending pre-primary (kindergarten) through to Grades 3 and provide professional development for teachers to support reading interventions in Zambian public and community schools.
EDC is committed to equity, diversity and inclusion in the workplace.
Scope of Work
Let’s Read Project has developed over 130 reading materials for ECE learners in seven (7) instruction languages (Silozi, Luvale, Lunda, Kikaonde, Icibemba, Cinyanja and Chitonga). After editorial work, the next stage is to correct and prepare the materials for production.
The project is seeking to engage qualified and experienced Graphic Designer(s) to undertake editorial design work. The main responsibility will involve editing text and graphic images in 60 sets of reading materials for Early Childhood Education using provided comments from the editorial team at Let’s Read Project (USAID Let’s Read will provide design files). The corrections done in design software (InDesign, Adobe Photoshop or Illustrator). Candidates with InDesign software knowledge are preferred.
Specific activities will include:
- Edit graphic and text ECE electronic files (60 sets of documents) as instructed the materials to be provided by the USAID Let’s Read Project technical team.
- Give special attention to consistency in line width and quality character drawings to make engaging and clear for early grade readers.
- The designer(s) will be expected to submit 20 sets of documents each day to the technical Team for review and correction where applicable.
- The designer(s) will be expected to work with speed without compromising quality.
- Ensure files are handed in sets and labelled according to titles they fall under the version control guidelines provided.
- The designer(s) will work from USAID Let’s Read Project Lusaka offices for the period of the contract.
- Submit drafts of the design files and revise according to comments and suggestions provided within a stipulated timeframe.
Period of Performance:
Consultants shall be expected to perform services between September 21st and 25th, 2020.
a. Possess a minimum of 3 years’ experience in graphic designing
b. Demonstrated experience of design work in education publishing.
c. Ability to work with speed and accuracy;
d. Capacity to understand instruction and produce quality work
To Apply: Send your application letter and updated Curriculum to [email protected] no later than September 11, 2020. Please include the position title in the subject line
Due to the volume of applications submitted, only finalists will be notified. No phone calls, please.
This announcement is made possible by the support of the American People through the United States Agency for International Development (USAID). The contents of this notice are the sole responsibility of Education Development Center, Inc. (EDC) and do not necessarily reflect the views of USAID or the United States Government.